openSUSE 42.1 Release information edit
openSUSE Leap 42.1 was an EOL openSUSE release. For the latest, see the distribution portal.
Don't forget to check out the Release Notes before an upgrade or installation.
Feature highlights edit
openSUSE Leap 42.1 is...
openSUSE Leap 42.1 deserved a name that matches its importance. By basing openSUSE on SLE (SUSE Linux Enterprise), the core of openSUSE is maintained by SUSE engineers. That means it will get fixes and security updates from SLE. Packages, maintenance and bug fixes also come from the openSUSE community. 42.1 aligns with SLE 12 Service Pack (SP) 1, and Leap 42.2 will align with SP2 and 42.3 will align with SP3. Users are expected to upgrade to the latest minor release within 6 months of its availability, leading to a life cycle of 18 months of maintenance and security updates per minor release. The minor version upgrades in Leap 42 are similar to a service pack, so users of the 42 series achieve an estimated 36 months of maintenance and security updates if they start with 42.1.
Leap adds the bits and pieces of software that contributors want and are willing to maintain. Community contributions in openSUSE Factory were are submitted to Leap 42.1 and will give open-source users and Linux professionals a long-term, stable Linux system.
openSUSE Leap 42.1 comes with GCC 4.8.5 and the option to install the newer GCC 5. Leap uses the 4.1 LTS series Linux Kernel.
In detail edit
- Feature list · Technical overview of the updates and changes in openSUSE Leap
- Screenshots · See what this release looks like
- Hardware requirements · What it takes to run Leap
- Contents · The contents of the various release media
- Release notes · Important last minute changes to the release
- Reception · See what the press has to say about this release
- Installation and Upgrade · Learn about installing openSUSE in various ways
- Most annoying bugs · Find out about known issues and common problems
- Manuals · Read or download the latest edition of the openSUSE books
- Help out · File a Bugreport
- Go wild! · Meet up with the openSUSE Community and celebrate the release
- Buttons and banners · Sticker the world!
- Presentations · Spread the word
- Release announcement · Public release announcement
- Rolling release
- Current regular release
openSUSE Leap 15.4stable
- Previous regular release
openSUSE Leap 15.3old stable