Mozilla Firefox is a standalone web browser, designed for privacy, security, standards compliance and performance. Its functionality can be enhanced via a plethora of extensions.
Firefox makes your daily web browsing fun and easy with a number of features, including:
- Tabbed browsing
- Private browsing including do-not-track enabled by default
- Advanced phishing and malware protection
- Spell checking
- Incremental find within pages
- Live bookmarking and Smart Bookmarks
- Download manager
- Location-aware browsing
- Compliant with modern web standards
- Modern web development tools
- Available in a wide number of locales
- A thriving ecosystem of themes and extensions at https://addons.mozilla.org
Start Software. Search for package "MozillaFirefox". Click the ideal package to open detail page. Click Install button.
Start Discover. Search for package "MozillaFirefox". Click the ideal package to open detail page. Click Install button.
Start YaST --> Software Management. Search for package "MozillaFirefox". Check the checkbox for installation (green check). Click Accept button to start installation.
Don't trust extensions
Mozilla is NOT responsible for security auditing of extensions at https://addons.mozilla.org which gives malware chances. Even some "featured" extensions are proven to be malware. You should not install extensions or themes without knowing who the author is and whether the code has been hijacked. And Mozilla will never tell you this!
Some famous examples:
- 'Web Of Trust' Browser Add-On Caught Selling Users' Data — Uninstall It Now
- Web Security Firefox Add-on is Secretly Collecting User’s Browser History
- Mozilla has banned nearly 200 malicious Firefox add-ons over the last two weeks
The following guidelines can keep you away from bad extensions:
- The extension must only come from https://addons.mozilla.org
- The extension must be "recommended" by Mozilla, which means it has been audited for security and privacy by Mozilla engineers. Note: not all of them are open source.
- The extension must be open source and you can get the source code on GitHub or somewhere else. For example, uBlock Origin has its source code on GitHub and it is actively developed by many contributors. This makes sure enough people are watching it for you.
- The extension must have a long enough history and large enough user base. Never install an extension that is uploaded just one month ago.
- The extension must be developed by trusted individuals or organizations. For example, extensions from Mozilla and EFF can be trusted.
- Be careful with "free" services. Most of them are selling only one product: your data.
Adblock and privacy extensions
Extensions for everyone, no mandatory configuration needed:
- Facebook Container by Mozilla (built in), GitHub
- uBlock Origin by Raymond Hill, GitHub
- HTTPS Everywhere by EFF, GitHub
- Privacy Badger by EFF, GitHub
Extensions for experts, with total control:
The repository can be found in the Mozilla repository
Tips and tricks
- Firefox has bad font smoothing. Ubuntu patches for better Microsoft style hinting have been made available by Muzlocker through this forum thread. Mind that you might infringe Microsoft patents! For Firefox versions prior to 4, this guide will help you to enable freetype font smoothing.
- The Linux edition looks quite different from its Windows counterpart. There are some tweaks that can be made:
- For the best visual style, I can recommend Strata RELOADED by Martin Meissnitzer. Other recommendations are welcome, edit this post!
- Right click on the menubar and uncheck menubar from the list. This will let the new Firefox 4 button appear.
- You can also move the Settings menu entry from Edit to Tools by changing a certain key in about:config (I don't remember which one!) or by installing the Tools > Options… for Linux add-on by Daniel Dawson.
- SDB:Clean Firefox Database This works only from Firefox 3.0 on.
- Disable IPv6
- SDB:Enable HTTP Pipelining
- Extremely slow startup? YaST Network Settings -> Hostname/DNS tab -> Assign Hostname to Loopback IP
Reduce Disk Writes
- Increase browser.sessionstore.interval in about:config
- SDB:Mozilla filechooser
- Set Thunderbird to open link in email using Firefox
- SDB:Firefox custom search
- SDB:Firefox_MP4/H.264 Video Support