Firefox is a popular multi-platform web browser developed by the Mozilla Community and backed by the Mozilla Corporation. Firefox delivers a safe and easy web browsing, familiar user interface, enhanced security features including protection from online identity theft, and integrated search that lets you get the most out of the web.
- Firefox is completely customizable. A large variety of add-ons exists that lets you theme and add extra functionality to Firefox.
- Firefox is installed by default in openSUSE with the SUSEfox extension.
The repository can be found in the Mozilla repository
Tips and tricks
- Firefox has bad font smoothing. Ubuntu patches for better Microsoft style hinting have been made available by Muzlocker through this forum thread. Mind that you might infringe Microsoft patents! For Firefox versions prior to 4, this guide will help you to enable freetype font smoothing.
- The Linux edition looks quite different from its Windows counterpart. There are some tweaks that can be made:
- For the best visual style, I can recommend Strata RELOADED by Martin Meissnitzer. Other recommendations are welcome, edit this post!
- Right click on the menubar and uncheck menubar from the list. This will let the new Firefox 4 button appear.
- You can also move the Settings menu entry from Edit to Tools by changing a certain key in about:config (I don't remember which one!) or by installing the Tools > Options… for Linux add-on by Daniel Dawson.
- SDB:Clean Firefox Database This works only from Firefox 3.0 on.
- Disable IPv6
- SDB:Enable HTTP Pipelining
- Extremely slow startup? YaST Network Settings -> Hostname/DNS tab -> Assign Hostname to Loopback IP
Reduce Disk Writes
- Increase browser.sessionstore.interval in about:config
- SDB:Mozilla filechooser
- Set Thunderbird to open link in email using Firefox
- SDB:Firefox custom search
- SDB:Firefox_MP4/H.264 Video Support