Heroes Team members are volunteers helping the project with all system administration related tasks. It consists of people with skills ranging from generic Administrators over to Storage and Network experts. The team also welcomes new volunteers who want to start learning new skills.
In short: the team helps the openSUSE community make their ideas and dreams come true.
As team we communicate over a lot of channels. Mostly mailing list and IRC.
- join our monthly meeting - usually at the first Thursday of a month at 20:00 CET / 18:00 UTC at https://meet.opensuse.org/heroes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org is where you create issues in our ticket system (https://progress.opensuse.org).
- email@example.com - Is our mailing list and communication channel.
Subscribe - Unsubscribe - Help - Archives
- #opensuse-admin is the generic channel where you can reach us. We have a bot there that logs the discussions. You can have a look at former discussions here.
- #opensuse-buildservice is the channel to reach build service administrators.
- We post information about maintenance of the infrastructure to status.opensuse.org.
- For ways to communicate with us individually check our list of members.
One of the main areas of work for the Heroes Team is the system administration of the infrastructure for openSUSE. Here is a short list of areas that need our/your help:
- The mirror infrastructure used for deploying images and packages over the world.
- The Build Service - working on the source code, helping Build Service Users in #opensuse-buildservice.
- Providing the infrastructure behind projects like the openSUSE Conference, the Documentation or the Maintenance.
- Maintaining infrastructure as code in Git using SaltStack.
- Operating various public services -> check the mega-menu by clicking on the icon on the top right!
Many team members have special areas of interest (others call it "hobbies") and take care of maintaining specific services, others help out generally with day to day tasks.
|Image||Name||IRC (Libera) nick||Blog||Email
(add opensuse.org behind the @)
|Area of expertise|
|Christian Boltz||cboltz||-||cboltz@||wiki server admin, admin for English wiki, salting servers and services|
|Sarah Kriesch||AdaLovelace||-||sarah.kriesch@||Admin for German Wiki|
|Thorsten B.||thomic||TBro@||openSUSE Infrastructure, SaltStack, Hardware wishlist|
|Martin Caj||mcaj||mcaj@||openSUSE Infrastructure, SaltStack|
|Per Jessen||pjessen||http://rambling.jessen.ch/||per@||A grumpy old greybeard. Mailing list manager, mail servers, DNS, mirror infrastructure, general dogsbody & overall nuisance.|
|Ioan Vancea||IonutVan||https://www.vioan.eu/||IonutVan@||~ to be assigned ~|
|Oliver Kurz||okurz||okurz@||openQA (openqa.opensuse.org)|
|Marco Strigl||lethliel||mstrigl@||openSUSE Infrastructure, Videoteam|
|Jacob Michalskie||lcp||https://lcp.world||hellcp@||Whatever's needed|
|Bernhard||bmwiedemann||-||bmwiedemann@||download.o.o and co, Miscellaneous|
|Georg||acidsys||-||crameleon@||Infrastructure, SaltStack, Miscellaneous|
Check the list of teams to learn more about which teams exist in the project.