If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/
openSUSE Release Cycle
openSUSE Tumbleweed is openSUSE's rolling release, which is constantly updated and always at the 'latest release'.
openSUSE Leap is openSUSE's regular release, which is has the following estimated release cycle:
- One minor release is expected approximately every 12 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Service Packs
- One major release is expected after approximately 36-48 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Releases.
- openSUSE Leap 15.5 is confirmed
openSUSE Leap is always based on the newest SUSE Linux Enterprise Server available to the date, which means Leap would have a major version update is a successor to SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 becomes available.
SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 has already confirmed that there will be Service Pack 7. According to current information we can not expect a successor prior to Service Pack 5 being released. Therefore we officially plan for openSUSE Leap 15.5. This would result in a length of community support of 72 (6*12 SP0..SP5) months.
The life cycle of openSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap are documented in The Lifetime Wiki Page.
Schedule of Quarterly Updates for openSUSE Leap 15.3
We follow and generally align SLE 15 SP3 Quarterly Update schedule, however, we're bit more flexible. We can decide to release image when-needed to address particular issue etc. Or skip if there is no need to
QU1 Sep/Oct 2021 (Released on 29th Oct 2021)
QU2 Dec/Jan 2022
QU3 March/April 2022
Schedule for openSUSE Leap 15.4
Wed, July 2, 2021 Start of Development phase
- openSUSE Leap and Backports OBS projects are set up.
- openSUSE Leap 15.4 is Alpha.
- SUSE:SLE-15-SP4:GA is being synced to OBS
- Release checklist for Leap 15.4 is in progress-o-o
Wed, July 8, 2021 Engineering Interlock
- Shortly after Interlock for SUSE Linux Enteprise
Wed, Feb 02, 2022 Late Feature Request Cutoff for SLE
- Every feature with a code delivery for SUSE Linux Enterprise after this date requires an ECO and may be targeted post FCS date. Does not apply for Leap code-drops.
- After this date only P1 bugfixes, important security fixes and pre-agreed important P2 fixes are accepted in SUSE Linux Enterprise. This does not apply for Leap code-drops.
Wed, Feb 16, 2022 Checkin Deadline for Beta
- Deadline is at 15:00 UTC
- Deadline for any package removals from Leap.
- Deadline corresponds with SLE 15 SP3 Public Beta code submission deadline
Wed, Feb 23, 2022 Beta build is done
- openSUSE Leap 15.4 is Beta
- Maintenance team starts working on maintenance setup
Fri, April 20, 2022 Checkin Deadline for RC
- Deadline is at 15:00 UTC
- Corresponds with SLE 15 SP4 Public RC code submission deadline
- Only important bugfixes should be accepted after this point
Wed, April 27, 2022 RC build is done
- RC build is done
- Maintenance setup is done
- Leap Code freeze.
- Backports project freeze ahead of Leap
Fri, May 14, 2022 Deadline for Documentation and Translations
- All translations were pulled this has to happen prior GM
Wed, May 11, 2022 Gold Master code submission deadline
- Gold Master followed by a public release the next week on Wednesday
Fri, May 27, 2022 Gold Master build is done
- Gold Master followed by a public release in two weeks on Wednesday
Wed, Jun 8, 2022 Public Availability of the Release
- openSUSE Leap 15.4 will be released to the public at 12:00 UTC
Wed, Jun 8, 2022 Release retrospective survey is open
- Release retro on survey.opensuse.org is open right after GA
Wed, Jun 22, 2022 Collect feedback from the retrospective
- Share feedback of the retrospective with community.
- Wikipedia entry (sometimes more up to date)
- Build Service roadmap page about planning details
- openSUSE Release process
- Lifetime of openSUSE releases