openSUSE Release Cycle
openSUSE Tumbleweed is openSUSE's rolling release, which is constantly updated and always at the 'latest release'
openSUSE Leap is openSUSE's regular release, which is has the following estimated release cycle:
- One minor release is expected approximately every 12 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Service Packs
- One major release is expected after approximately 36-48 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Releases
The life cycle of openSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap are documented in The Lifetime Wiki Page.
Upcoming openSUSE Leap Release
Leap 15.0 was released May 25th, 2018.
openSUSE Leap 15.1 is planned to be released in May 2019, based on SLE 15 SP1.
There are no plans to release an openSUSE Leap 42.4. Leap 42.3 will be maintained until June 2019.
Development Schedule for Leap 15.1:
- February 2019: Beta phase
- April 16th: RC phase, package freeze
- May 12th: translation deadline for packages
- May 13th: final package submission deadline
- May 20th: translation deadline for infrastructure
- May: Release
- Wikipedia entry (sometimes more up to date)
- Build Service roadmap page about planning details
- openSUSE Release process
- Lifetime of openSUSE releases