openSUSE Release Cycle
openSUSE Tumbleweed is openSUSE's rolling release, which is constantly updated and always at the 'latest release'
openSUSE Leap is openSUSE's regular release, which is has the following estimated release cycle:
- One minor release is expected approximately every 12 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Service Packs
- One major release is expected after approximately 36-48 months, aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise Releases
The life cycle of openSUSE Tumbleweed and Leap are documented in The Lifetime Wiki Page.
Upcoming openSUSE Leap Release
openSUSE Leap 15.2 is planned to be released May 2020, based on SLE 15 SP2
There are no plans to release an openSUSE Leap 42.4. Leap 42.3 has been maintained until June 2019.
openSUSE Leap has a no Monday and Friday release policy (Alpha, Beta, RC, GA), pre-agreed day of week for releases is Thursday.
Development Schedule for Leap 15.2:
- August 31st, 2019: Alpha (a date for completion of OBS and openQA setup, otherwise rolling Alpha until Beta phase)
- February 20th, 2020: Beta phase
- April 16th, 2020: RC phase, package freeze (8 weeks after Beta)
- May 3rd, 2020: translation deadline for packages
- May 4th, 2020: final package submission deadline
- May 4th, 2020: translation deadline for infrastructure
- May 7th, 2020: Gold Master (3 weeks after RC)followed by a public release next week.
- Wikipedia entry (sometimes more up to date)
- Build Service roadmap page about planning details
- openSUSE Release process
- Lifetime of openSUSE releases