AMDGPU-PRO is the next generation closed source graphics component that operates on top of the open source AMDGPU drivers for newer AMD/ATI Radeon graphics cards.
This guide is to help you install the AMDGPU-PRO proprietary AMD drivers for video cards from Radeon GPU HD 7000 to most recent series only.
AMDGPU-PRO cannot be included and integrated into the openSUSE distribution because it is not licensed as Free and Open Source Software.
Check HCL:AMD video cards to select the driver that best suits your hardware first before proceeding.
Creating local repository
- Search for the current AMDGPU Pro driver page (as of July 2019: 19.30 (or the previous one 19.20)
- Find the appropriate link for SLED/SLES, e. g. for Leap 15.0 select SLED/SLES 15
- Download the TAR.XZ archive – this is a compressed RPM repository
- Extract the TAR.XZ archive anywhere in your computer (e. g. in /tmp directory)
Adding the repository
- Start YaST2, with the help of menu
- Click Software Repositories in the YaST Control Center
- Click Add, select "Local directory" and click Next
- Enter the path to directory (e. g. /tmp/amdgpu-pro-19.10-785424-sle-15) and choose a name (AMDGPU_Pro for example) for the repository
- Click OK
- Accept the repository gpg key
- Ensure its status is "enabled" and "refresh automatically" is also on.
Alternatively, add the repository via zypper:
zypper ar -fep93 -n "AMDGPU Pro" /tmp/amdgpu-pro-19.10-785424-sle-15 Hdw_AMDGPU_Pro
[Parameters: -f refresh -e enable -p93 Prority 93 -n Name]
Installing the "amdgpu-pro package
- In the YaST Control Center, click Software Management.
- Search for "amdgpu-pro".
- Click Accept to confirm your changes.
The simplest way to apply these changes is to reboot.
- SDB:ATI_troubleshooting See what to do in case of problems.
- SDB:Configuring graphics cards