The wikis are now using the new authentication system.
If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/

openSUSE:Testing meeting 20101004

Jump to: navigation, search

Agenda

  1. Own experience of openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 2
  2. New Wiki pages
    - http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing
    - http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_team
  3. Input to "Test case creation" on
    - http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Junior_jobs
  4. openSUSE Conference 2010

Transcript

[Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:10:29] Thema Das Kanalthema lautet: „Welcome to opensuse-testing: http://en.opensuse.org/Testing | http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Testing_Core_Team“. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:10:29] Thema Das Thema wurde am 2009-09-14 10:54 von [daemon] gesetzt. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:10:49] <ReferenceSeete> Hello CupRacer & jradzuweit [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:10:55] Modus Kanalmodi: no colors allowed, no messages from outside, topic protection [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:10:55] Erstellt Kanal wurde erstellt am: 2009-02-22 17:35. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:11:01] <jradzuweit> Hi all [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:11:04] <CupRacer_> Sorry folks. My Konversation-Config was gone... [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:11:07] <jradzuweit> sory I am late [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:11:23] <HolgiDE> hi CupRacer & jradzuweit [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:12:18] <bmwiedemann> np. we are still at the first topic. me proposing bug 641297 as most annoying. I did not do much further testing on the release - so your turn to tell about MS2 experience. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:12:46] 671 jradzuweit CzP is using a secure connection [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:12:50] 671 jradzuweit CzP is using a secure connection [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:13:59] <jradzuweit> could not do much testing yet [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:14:07] <ReferenceSeete> I've only had time to take one crack at MS2, and it fell into dependency hell before the install began. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:14:30] <ReferenceSeete> DVD claimed to be missing glibc.so(!) although it wasn't the case. I didn [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:15:01] <ReferenceSeete> ...did not have a liveCD avail so I could not rescue the system if it actually was to install broken [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:16:08] <ReferenceSeete> I'm going to take another run at the DVD later today to see if I triggered it with some of my settings, or if that's the normal states of affairs. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:16:51] <CupRacer_> I'd like to say that I was a little busy in the last time (my company's insolvency / house moving), but I think that it all becomes smooth now. I hope that I can now spend more time on testing and working with openSUSE. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:19:13] <bmwiedemann> CupRacer_: it is good to see you sorting things out. looking forward to your contributions :) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:19:39] <bmwiedemann> ReferenceSeete: I must admit that I did not auto-test DVD images, as they are very much alike NET isos which did work [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:20:37] <CupRacer_> bmwiedemann: Thanks! :-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:20:37] <HolgiDE> ok, so as a conclusion, we did not do much testing yet? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:20:48] <ReferenceSeete> bmwiedemann: Nothing to worry about, that's why we have a Testing Team! Hopefully each one will catch what the last one misses. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:23:07] <HolgiDE> anything more for that topic? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:23:12] <bmwiedemann> ReferenceSeete: sometimes things slip through. e.g. I just found two small regressions introduces with a new feature just before 11.3-RC2 (bug 643354 , 643356) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:24:09] <bmwiedemann> HolgiDE: no, appears we need more time for testing... [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:24:23] <HolgiDE> that was my guess ;-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:24:45] <bmwiedemann> next topic is "new Wiki pages" [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:25:00] <HolgiDE> that topic is from jradzuweit [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:25:03] <bmwiedemann> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing and http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:25:26] <jradzuweit> as I was in India, I did some polishing of the trasnfered Wiki pages [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:26:08] <jradzuweit> just in case someone came around [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:26:41] <jradzuweit> just making the links work, an skipped old stuff [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:27:18] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: I have a question: is there any reason for choosing a different name for the team page? "Testing_team" instead of "Testing_Core_Team"? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:27:38] <jradzuweit> no, this was created by the Wiki team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:27:54] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: by the wiki team? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:28:07] <bmwiedemann> Wiki team created the link on Portal:teams and I created the missing testing_team page [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:28:18] <jradzuweit> yes [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:28:41] <jradzuweit> I can live with this name [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:29:03] <HolgiDE> I worry about two things: [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:29:07] <HolgiDE> 1) wrong name [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:29:34] <HolgiDE> 2) bad writing (first capital "T", the not capital "t") [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:30:19] <bmwiedemann> the first capital "T" might be from a technical limitation of the mediawiki software. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:30:48] <jradzuweit> all teams have this kind of name [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:30:51] <HolgiDE> my suggestion would be to either create a redirection from http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_Core_Team to this page or create http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_Core_Team and redirect openSUSE:Testing_team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:30:59] <jradzuweit> http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Teams [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:31:16] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: I saw it in the meanwhile but still don't like it ;-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:31:29] <ReferenceSeete> I like the latter of Holgi's suggestions. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:31:42] <ReferenceSeete> The current title is what one might search for. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:31:52] <ReferenceSeete> But "Testing Core Team" is the proper name [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:32:02] <jradzuweit> should I take care of this? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:32:14] <ReferenceSeete> So we should redirect from 'obvious search' to 'proper terminology' [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:32:24] <ReferenceSeete> Rather than the opposite way. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:32:45] <bmwiedemann> we could at least write about the "Core" and why it is there [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:34:06] <ReferenceSeete> Good idea! [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:34:06] <bmwiedemann> other question: am I the only one feeling we should find a better icon/symbol? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:34:16] <HolgiDE> apart from that I suggest to delete "Availability" column in the "Members" table [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:34:48] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: good idea [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:35:14] <bmwiedemann> HolgiDE: yes. it is probably outdated and we are not doing much live support anyway [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:35:40] <CupRacer_> HolgiDE: I agree with this suggestion. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:36:27] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: can you take care of this? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:36:34] <jradzuweit> shure [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:37:20] <jradzuweit> new page created http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_Core_Team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:37:41] <HolgiDE> good, anything more for the wiki? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:38:05] <jradzuweit> what about the old meeting transscripts, test plan etc? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:38:18] <jradzuweit> my feeling was that it was not much used [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:39:34] <CupRacer_> I liked the possibility to read the transscripts when I missed another meeting. :-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:39:34] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: we should sort out what information makes sense to keep it and what doesn't anymore [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:41:31] <bmwiedemann> last year's bug-of-the-day is probably not very interesting today [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:42:03] <jradzuweit> yeah [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:42:10] <jradzuweit> this is all removed [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:42:21] <jradzuweit> and replaced to the factory pages [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:42:36] <jradzuweit> linked I mean [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:43:17] <jradzuweit> ok, availability column gone =:) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:45:09] Notify <a class="nick" href="#CupRacer">CupRacer ist online (irc.freenode.org).</a> [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:45:18] Notify CupRacer ist offline (irc.freenode.org). [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:47:36] <HolgiDE> ok bmwiedemann, what's next? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:48:24] <bmwiedemann> input to "Test case creation" on http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Junior_jobs [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:49:53] <bmwiedemann> whose topic is that? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:06] <HolgiDE> mine [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:21] <HolgiDE> I was asked be the openSUSE Boosters Team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:36] <HolgiDE> if Test case creation would not be a good thing as Junior Job [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:42] <HolgiDE> and if we want that [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:52] <HolgiDE> we are asked to give a instruction for that [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:50:56] <HolgiDE> on above page [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:51:35] Notify Olli ist offline (irc.freenode.org). [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:52:01] <shindojin> [good evening] [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:52:04] <bmwiedemann> currently it says "to be filled by the QA team" [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:54:10] <bmwiedemann> so if it shall be an easy job, it should be about teatures from openFATE that are marked done... how does one know if there wasnt already a test-case created? checking comments if it already says so at the bottom? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:56:10] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: I think it should be about all kind of test cases [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:56:23] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: e.a. if you are a regular gnome user [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:56:37] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: you could create testcases for gnome applications as well [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:57:14] <bmwiedemann> OK. if it is that easy... [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:58:02] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: it is the more easier the better the description is [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:58:24] Notify <a class="nick" href="#Olli">Olli ist online (irc.freenode.org).</a> [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:59:07] <bmwiedemann> HolgiDE: I meant easy enough for junior jobs. those are often recommended to people new to opensource contributing [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:59:31] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: I understand, but still above answer ;-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [19:59:44] <HolgiDE> so question here: is there any volunteer for doing that? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:00:33] <bmwiedemann> HolgiDE: then maybe I misunderstood. we dont leave test-case-creation as junior job, but the testing? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:01:27] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: no, we leave test-case-creation as junior job, but give them a good description [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:02:04] <bmwiedemann> so we make a HowTo? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:02:18] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: that would be my idea [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:02:40] <bmwiedemann> very good. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:04:07] <HolgiDE> so again: is there any volutter for that? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:04:41] <HolgiDE> volunteer [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:04:42] <bmwiedemann> I could find some time for it in 2 weeks [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:04:52] <HolgiDE> good [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:05:01] <jradzuweit> I can help [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:05:17] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: even better :-) [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:05:19] <HolgiDE> that's all for that topic so far [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:06:15] <bmwiedemann> fourth topic on today's agenda is "openSUSE Conference 2010" [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:06:33] <bmwiedemann> I will be there. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:06:35] <HolgiDE> that's from jradzuweit [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:06:56] <jradzuweit> ??? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:07:39] <HolgiDE> ok, so there is openSUSE conference soon in Nuremberg [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:07:45] <jradzuweit> I will be there, too [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:07:53] <HolgiDE> question is: how is taking part? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:07:58] <bmwiedemann> sidenote: I think we should once more have a Testing_Core_Team_Meeting page, so that it is easier to keep track of those topics [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:08:01] <HolgiDE> from this team [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:08:26] <jradzuweit> bmwiedemann : agreed [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:08:50] <HolgiDE> ok, so far I know from 3 people: bmwiedemann, HolgiDE, jradzuweit [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:09:00] <HolgiDE> anybody more attending? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:09:26] <CupRacer_> I'm afraid not. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:11:01] <ReferenceSeete> No, unfortunately. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:11:11] * HolgiDE does hava a talk on wed, 20th 16:30 [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:11:24] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: when is yours? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:11:41] * bmwiedemann does have a talk on 2010-10-20 10:30 and a tutorial 24h later [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:12:24] <jradzuweit> I am not sure that I make it 'till 10:30 [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:12:34] <bgerber> I am not sure. I do not have much time. But I will do what I have todo. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:12:48] <HolgiDE> ok, then at least there are the three of us [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:15:15] <HolgiDE> ok, I think that's it for that topic [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:15:31] <bmwiedemann> one remaining topic would be "next meeting" [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:15:41] <HolgiDE> ok [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:15:51] <HolgiDE> that's mine [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:00] <HolgiDE> on http://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Meetings [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:09] <HolgiDE> there is a description about meetings [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:25] <HolgiDE> I tried to get access to the MeetBot, but that did not work out today [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:32] <HolgiDE> maybe we have access to that next time [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:35] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:16:44] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: maybe you can also request access [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:17:02] <HolgiDE> apart from that we need a meeting page there [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:17:21] <HolgiDE> or it would be at least good to have one [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:17:46] <HolgiDE> anybody used with wikis that is willing to take that job? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:18:07] <shindojin> hm... [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:18:11] <bmwiedemann> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing_meeting would be a good name [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:20:04] <jradzuweit> I think I take this [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:20:23] <HolgiDE> jradzuweit: thanks [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:20:40] <jradzuweit> I already in this Wiki stuff [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:20:53] <HolgiDE> good [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:21:11] <HolgiDE> about the date for the next meeting [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:21:23] <HolgiDE> I did not get any complaints about the date and time [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:21:38] <HolgiDE> so for sure I can send out requests via doodle [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:21:52] <HolgiDE> but I'm not sure if this will increase the number of participants [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:04] <bgerber> I am looking at it and the old SDB articles. I think some should be moved over to the new wiki. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:33] <ReferenceSeete> The number of participants wasn't so bad in the end. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:33] <jradzuweit> just after MS 3? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:35] <HolgiDE> any remarks about next meeting? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:35] <bgerber> I am still having medical issues so I do what I can. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:22:51] <HolgiDE> bgerber: thanks [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:23:12] <bmwiedemann> HolgiDE: maybe leave one extra week between MS3 and meeting? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:23:28] <HolgiDE> next would be Nov, 8th then [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:23:40] <jradzuweit> MS 3 -> 05.11. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:23:50] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: sure, that would be Nov, 15th then [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:23:58] <bgerber> I did do a lot of testing on 11.3, but I have problems with the Black Screen of Death on a few laptops. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:24:18] <bmwiedemann> bgerber: I had such a prob with my ATI graphics [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:24:41] <HolgiDE> bgerber: secret is something like: notmodline [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:24:45] <bgerber> It may have an ati card. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:01] <HolgiDE> bgerber: I see [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:01] <bmwiedemann> 2010-11-15 18:00 UTC for next meeting then? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:07] <HolgiDE> bmwiedemann: fine with me [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:23] <bgerber> Where can I read about it the X devs said it was a kernel issue. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:40] <jradzuweit> agreed [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:55] <bgerber> Many other machines past tests. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:58] <bmwiedemann> bgerber: param is maybe "nomodeset" ? [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:25:58] <HolgiDE> bgerber: no I thought it was an other problem, not ATI [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:26:22] <CupRacer_> bmwiedemann: okay! [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:26:31] <bgerber> All I get is a few lines then nothing. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:27:06] <bgerber> It finds the card then dies no text or graphics windows. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:27:16] <bgerber> Just Black. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:27:20] <HolgiDE> bgerber: If developers already answered - I have no better idea [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:27:32] <bgerber> OK [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:27:59] <bgerber> I just hate that they say they have no ideas. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:28:08] <bgerber> 11.2 works great. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:29:17] <bmwiedemann> bgerber: I found out that ATI dropped support for my notebooks ATI chip in their proprietary driver, so the newest I can use with that is 11.1. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:29:21] <bgerber> Well I have to leave for a while. bye [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:30:06] <bgerber> I know I am unable to use ATI driver, as support has dropped. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:30:11] <bmwiedemann> if I had time, I would use a serial console to get a crash dump out [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:30:31] <bgerber> But I should be able to use OpenSource Driver. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:30:48] <bmwiedemann> only if it is not buggy [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:30:56] <HolgiDE> ok guys, I have to leave [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:03] <bmwiedemann> Ciao HolgiDE [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:07] <bgerber> I will do what I can I have to go. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:08] <HolgiDE> otherwize I do not get anything to eat [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:12] <jradzuweit> bye, bye [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:13] <bgerber> bye [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:16] <HolgiDE> bye [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:18] <CupRacer_> bye! [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:31:24] Notify HolgiDE ist offline (irc.freenode.org). [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:32:06] <bmwiedemann> bgerber: #opensuse-factory has many developers in there... maybe they know the problem [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:32:40] <bgerber> ok, I will ask them when I get back. Thanks, [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:33:04] <bmwiedemann> you are welcome. have a lot of fun [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:34:29] <ReferenceSeete> bye [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:35:16] <bmwiedemann> MS4 is still 2 months ahead. [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:35:43] <bmwiedemann> then more structured testing can be useful [Montag 04 Oktober 2010] [20:36:54] <bmwiedemann> btw: meeting is over. if anyone has anything testing-related to tell, please tell.