This team processes the openSUSE membership requests and accepts or rejects them after review.
Being part of the team
Membership officials are appointed by the openSUSE Board. Members are welcome to help us in this team .
To join the Membership Officials Team
- Step 1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your connect.opensuse.org Profile
- Step 2. The Board will confirm that you're a Member, and let you know whether or not you're request to join the Membership Officials is accepted (if the team is big enough, new team member may not be necessary)
- Step 3. A connect.opensuse.org admin will give you the appropriate permission
- email@example.com - This is a closed mailing list so the team can discuss privately applications that might require a debate (unclear contributions, for example).
Currently the team consists of the following members:
- Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
- Andrew Wafaa (awafaa)
- Wolfgang Rosenauer (wolfir)
- Raymond Wooninck (tittiatcoke)
- Jean-Daniel Dodin (jdd)
- Dominique Leuenberger (dimstar)
- Martin Pluskal (pluskalm)
Vote membership requests
NOTE 9 Dec 2018: Both the Board and Heroes would like to see connect.o.o retired and replaced with a new tool to track members and handle the application process. This will be an opportunity to streamline this process with automation. The below process therefore notes both the status quo and the general aspiration any replacement tool will be mentioned in Italics.
- login to connect.o.o (to be replaced by a new tool)
- go to the following link (Manage join requests for Members group) - also shortened as http://is.gd/newmembers
- clicking on the +/- numbers shows a popup with the comments, clicking on 'validation links' shows a popup with helpful links for evaluation (new tool should automatically validate contributions that are publicly visible to reduce the need for this step)
- applications with no claimed contributions should be rejected immediately.
Officials should modify the notification message the user will receive to explain this. (new tool should make this step obsolete)
- to vote for applications, provide your reasons in the text field and give an upvote (+1) or downvote (-1)
- to remove your vote click on [x] next to your comment in the popup
- if applications gets no downvotes and at least one upvote from a membership official other than yourself (or any future automatic validation tooling), then you can hit Accept.
You can modify the notification message the user will receive, and set their email alias on acceptance.
- if applications gets at least one downvote from a membership official other than yourself, and you agree with that, then you can hit Reject.
- if Membership officials disagree with a fellow officials downvote, they should discuss that amongst themselves, with the possible outcomes being either the downvote being removed, or the request being rejected. If the Officials cannot resolve a disputed application amongst themselves, they can request the Board to mediate.
- Membership officials should strive to resolving applications as fast as possible, as no potential member wishes to remain "in limbo" for a long period of time (new tool should notify Officials when requests are pending)
Administrate @opensuse.org email aliases
To change the email alias or target of a user, set the corresponding field(alias, target) in his profile. This can only be done by connect admins, please send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Administrate irc cloaks
When requesting membership, the users should add their desired freenode cloak and irc username in the contributions field. Upon accepting the user as member, the membership admins will set these values in the users profile.
To get the cloak active on freenode, our irc admins download the cloak export from the connect admin page, do a diff with the existing cloaks on freenode, and request the new ones. (TODO: Add reference to the script doing this)
After the new cloaks are registered with freenode, the irc admins paste the list of nicknames to the membership admin page, which triggers a notification mail to the new members, and sets their cloak state to done.
Please send requests regarding your cloak to email@example.com.