If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/
We want to enable Kubernetes distributions and applications with container images for IBM Z. They will be built with our Open Build Service and published in the openSUSE Registry. Some images are available on Docker Hub:
We want to expand the portfolio with most important applications and runnable on IBM Z.
- Access to a mainframe (LinuxONE Community Cloud)
- Upgrade SLES to openSUSE Tumbleweed.
- Install Docker
- Install additional tools for network analysis, in case you prefer the "classic" tools like netstat, ifconfig compared to ss, ip:
sudo zypper install net-tools-deprecated
- In case you've got possibly long-running commands in the background and you want them to continue even after you've been logged out from your ssh session, consider installing a terminal multiplexer like e.g. tmux or screen (see either Tmux Wiki or Screen Manual for details regarding their usage):
sudo zypper install tmux sudo zypper install screen
- Dockerfiles can be contributed to our container image project on Github
- The build of container images can be contributed to the container project in OBS
How to build/ develop container images
- Clone official images from the Docker Hub Github repository to the mainframe with pre-installed Docker (or openSUSE Kubic)
- Replace the base image with the openSUSE image (FROM opensuse/tumbleweed)
- Replace installation commands with zypper commands
- Run docker build -t application .
- Test the functionality with docker run.
docker run -d -it --name tomcat1 -p 8080:80 -v "$PWD"/app:/srv/tomcat/webapps tomcat:latest
- Fix errors
- Commit the new container image to our container image repository on Github