tagline: From openSUSE
zypper inronce it is installed.
- Open YaST, then click Software Repositories.
- Click Add (in the bottom left), then select Community Repositories.
- Select NVIDIA Graphics Drivers, then click OK.
- Go back to the YaST Control Center and click Online Update.*
- Click Extras in the top bar, then click Install All Matching Recommended Packages.*
- Click Accept, then wait for installation to complete.*
- Restart your computer.
If you prefer the commandline, follow the instructions below:
On Leap 42.3 you need to uninstall the drm-kmp-default package first:
Restart your computer.
Restart your computer.
Uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers
There may be occasions when one needs to get rid of an installed proprietary driver. This is possible, however requires some steps. This is the easiest way to do it:
- Start YaST, go to: Software -> Software Management
- Change the 'Filter' to filter by software repositories
- Select the respective NVIDIA repository
- Mark any installed package from this repository for deletion and press 'Accept'. You may be prompted for conflicts, please ignore any conflicts and chose to break dependencies.
- Now in YaST select: Software -> Software Repositories
- Chose the respective NVIDIA repository and mark it 'disabled' - don't delete it as it will return enabled the next time the repositories are synced with the server.
Uninstalling the proprietary drivers will restore the previous X configuration file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf if one has existed. If the hardware has changed in the mean time it may be necessary to manually edit this file.
On Leap 42.3 you may want to install the drm-kmp-default package again.
You should uninstall the NVIDIA driver manually
- if you have the NVIDIA driver installed and plan to update it manually
- if you have installed the NVIDIA driver manually and plan to update your distribution
- if you switch to another driver version (for example you have G03 installed but want to switch to G04)
If you plan to update your distribution using
zypper dup you should uninstall the old driver version first to avoid problems.
You should perform the installation before you do any of the above actions, so you may need to do two steps.
If you have installed the driver manually you should make sure that the NVIDIA community repository is disabled so your manually installed drivers will not conflict with automatic update.
PLEASE NOTE manual installation is not the recommended way of installing the NVIDIA driver. It should only be done as last resort by experienced people. Noone can guarantee that the installation scripts will catch every corner case where conflicts may arise.