Archive:Weekly news 22
Welcome to issue #22 of openSUSE Weekly News!
In this week:
- Linuxtag 2008 - latest information
- People of openSUSE: Marcus Hüwe
- Upcoming... openSUSE 11.0beta3
- "Please don't forget the biggest Linux event in Germany, just a few weeks away! For the second time it will be in Berlin, from 28-31.05.2008."
In the Community
- "Despite being a openSUSE member and a platinum member of the PackMan team packaging several widely-used applications he also helps the Build Service team with osc code contributions. With no more talk, today we nominate Marcus Hüwe as part of ‘People of openSUSE’!"
- Preparing openSUSE 11.0beta3 release
Status Report Tue, 13 May 2008 Topics:
- General Status
- 1.0 release Progress
Tips and Tricks
- "... I guess it's not really well known that you can build your own live CD to test ..."
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
- "Getting ready to head to Europe for a couple of exciting events: FOSSCamp Prague and LinuxTag. FOSSCamp is Friday and Saturday, at the Corinthia Towers Hotel in Prague. LinuxTag will be at the end of the month in Berlin, at Messehalle Funkturm."
- "Have you ever had the problem that you start writing something in a wiki, take some time to think, drink coffee and do other things and finally press Save in your browser and realise that your session with the wiki has already ended?"
- "Today we are making the first public release of Moonlight, supporting the Silverlight 1.0 profile for Linux."
- "Since our efforts to make the ZYpp really fast, by incorporating and integrating Michael Schroeder’s sat solver together with Michael Matz’s great work on the solv files and data storage, I never took the time to make a “quick comparison” on speed or memory usage. So lets have a quick look."
- "The GNOME team met on Thurstay, 08 May 2008. Read the minutes ..."
Today : Upcoming... openSUSE 11.0beta3
- See the Roadmap !
Today : openSUSE GNOME team meeting
- See the meetings Page.
Today : otevřenéSUSE in Prague on May 15
- "otevřenéSUSE is coming on May 15 in Prague. otevřenéSUSE (which is "openSUSE in Czech) is an event for local people interested in visiting the SUSE office in Prague, meeting with developers, and learning how to join the openSUSE community. Learn more on the otevřenéSUSE site (in Czech only)..."
May 20, 2008 to May 23, 2008 : Orbit IEX
- "Thanks to the Switzerland Novell colleagues openSUSE is again on the biggest computer event in Switzerland."
May 28, 2008 to May 31, 2008 : LinuxTag 2008
- "LinuxTag, Europe's leading exhibition on Linux and Open Source takes place from May 28 - 31, 2008 at Berlin's Messezentrum unter dem Funkturm."
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
Solved Security Vulnerabilities:
- rsync heap overflow in xattr code
- MozillaFirefox 22.214.171.124 security release
- poppler PDF problems
- nagios cross site scripting problems
- lighttpd SSL denial of service
- sarg various buffer overflows
- squid denial of service fix
- bzip2 decoder denial of service
- kdelibs3 unix signal handling
- texlive-bin dvips overflows
- kdelibs4 heap overflow in PNG loader of KHTML
- Sun Java 1.6.0 u6 security update
In the Press
- "The openSUSE project will be working with students from around the world to develop new code and improve existing projects ..."
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to the previous week.
The Build Service now hosts 2524 (+46) projects, 38592 (+427) packages, 5532 (+51) repositories by 5879 (+105) confirmed users.
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
- All Open Reports: 3734 (+1)
- Blocker: 25 (-1)
- Critical: 144 (-16)
- Major: 563
- Normal: 2192 (+16)
- Minor: 295 (+6)
- Enhancements: 515 (-4)
The top 10 translation teams with the most translated strings of trunk:
- Spanish (es): 32472 / 100%
- Finnish (fi): 32472 / 100%
- Cambodian (km): 32472 / 100%
- Japanese (ja): 32472 / 100%
- Ukraine (uk): 32472 / 100%
- Danish (da): 32472 / 100%
- Hungarian (hu): 32472 / 100%
- Portuguese Brazilian (pt_BR): 32472 / 100%
- German (de): 32472 / 100%
- Italian (it): 31973 / 98%
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
Got any comments on any of the things mentioned in this article? Then head right over to the news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! To communicate and get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/?feed=rss2