tagline: From openSUSE
openSUSE @ TIF 2013
The openSUSE Project is planning to attend TIF 2013
This page is part of the Advocate Events. On the link you can find more events where openSUSE is, will be or has been present.
Event website 78th THESSALONIKI INTERNATIONAL FAIR 2013
* Location: Thessaloniki, Greece * Date: September 7-15 2013 ** Booth Setup: September 7, 9:00-10:00 ** End: September 15, 22:00 * Opening Times: WEEKDAYS: 16:00-22:00 / WEEKENDS: 10:00-22:00
* How many attendees (visitors) does the event have? ~100000 * Who is organizing this event? HELLEXPO/ We were hosted by Google Developers Group Thessaloniki * What are the target visitors for this event? students/IT professionals/FOSS contributors/FOSS users/newbies/etc * Registration required? No * Who is organizing this event from openSUSE? Efstathios Iosifidis
What will be there
- openSUSE hacks:
Of course, events need to be promoted! Social media:
- See Facebook or Google Plus and promote to official openSUSE channels our event
- what's the hashtag of the event? #GDGThess
- Tweet that #openSUSE is coming!
- what is the facebook event page? Google Developers Group Thessaloniki
- openSUSE facebook event page, if relevant? We won't have. Planing to promote our presentations at the official fb page.
- mail to project, marketing and ambassador mailing lists done? Not enough time. We'll sent the report
- blogs: Not enough time. We'll blog after the event
Attendees, presence and travel info
Who will attend from/for openSUSE? Please fill in your name if you're going. And arrival & departure date & time so maybe you can share a train or cab, and we might organize a hotel together. In case you need travel support (see * below) fill in your estimated travel costs.
||Helps at booth
||Gives a talk (about)|
|User:Geeko||openSUSE LAND||Friday 17:00||Sunday 18:00||Hotel||USD 200||I am green!||Of course I help at booth!||Will talk about oSC|
|User:Diamond_gr||Thessaloniki, GR||No Arrival||No Departure||I can be at the booth: September 7th, 11-13||I organized our presence and our booth|
|User:differentreality||Thessaloniki, GR||Check Doodle||Check Doodle||Booth/bring stuff for the booth, setup/tear down|
|Alexandra Koulakidou||Thessaloniki, GR||No Arival||No Departure||I can be at the booth: September 7-8, 12-13||Βooth|
|User:dastergon||Serres, GR||Sept 12||Sept 13||Βooth|
|User:drakevr||Larisa, GR||Sept 13||Sept 14||Βooth|
- Add this if you need reimbursement for your travel and/or hotel costs. It is best to coordinate together to request travel support, for more information see the Travel Support Program page. BE CAREFUL FOR CHANGES.
Some material is needed for the booth setup. Please add things you are able to provide:
|~200 DVDs, ~50 stickers, ~70 community brohures||Efstathios Iosifidis||A LUG gave me some old DVDs (12.2) and I copied about 50 DVDs of 12.3|
Please add the things which you may require from the international team. Be sure to share this with the -marketing list!
After the Event
Try to answer the questions below and get us the answers to help us improve our support for you!
TIF2013 // Event report edit
- About the visitors:
- What kind of people come to the event? Students, developers, end-users
- How technical is the event? There were some talks about professional tools and Android developement. Some of them were about the FOSS in general.
- Attendance Details
- Tell us about the event Not enough visitors the first day. The rest of the days were pretty busy. We were the only distro community with booth. Other booths were mostly open source communities.
- Did you have a booth and how did that work? Yes. Many people visited us asking us about openSUSE. Most people knew about Ubuntu (they use it). The hotest question was "WHY openSUSE AND NOT UBUNTU OR OTHER DISTRO"?
- did we meet noteworthy people? Yes, some polititians came and also someone from the Chinese Embassy in Greece (gave him my card)
- follow-up needed? Not sure. Regarding visitors,
- What can we improve for the future...
- Would you go again? Yes
- What more can you do to make it better? Didn't have enough promo materials. We had about 5000 visitors passing by our booth and didn't have DVDs or even brochure to inform them. We were invited too late, so we didn't have enough time to prepare it.
- Other Comments, like:
- The booth/team operating well? Apart from lack of promo materials, pretty well
- Any interesting topic you heard: Some people asked us to hire programmers for open source software. We gave them contact business card, so if they mean it, they'll contact us.
- Any feedback from outside: We had pretty good presence.
- Were you aware of ? Yes
- and if so, is there anything to improve? If not, how can we ensure people DO know about these?
Posters The posters have three goals:
- get people intrigued
- draw them to our booth to ask questions
- give something to our advocates to talk about to booth visitors
- note that advocates are often not as knowledgeable as the openSUSE developers are about what openSUSE does, so this is there to help you!
- did you see people read the posters? Yes
- did they lead to questions, did ppl come to the booth? Yes. They didn't know what the lizard is so we started the discussion about open source, linux and our distro.
- did/can the booth people use the poster texts as 'talking points'? Not exactly
- anything else? There should be answers: 1. Why do you do that (promo openSUSE)? and 2. Why install openSUSE and not Ubuntu (or other distro)? This question can be answered by advocates if they know the product well and also use the most known distros to see differences.
The flyers have three goals:
- give people something they can take home to study and find links to further information (we used to have people photograph the posters, that is why the flyers have the same information on them!)
- get people intrigued and get them to ask questions
- give something to our advocates to talk about to booth visitors
- note that advocates are often not as knowledgeable as we are about openSUSE and need this
- did people take the flyers, read them? Yes
- did they lead to questions? Yes
- did/can the booth people use the flyers as 'talking points'? Yes
- anything else? Actually there were people saying it was their first distro. And they have the first box with DVDs and manual they bought.
- We had DVDs, brochures, .
Common Questions Asked edit
Please tell us what commonly asked questions you've got!
- What is openSUSE? Is it like Ubuntu?
- Why do you do that? What do you earn?
- Why install openSUSE and not other distro?
Event pics edit