openSUSE:Science Mechanical engineering
- FreeCAD is the most complete open source CAD application and highly recommended. It even includes FEM and Architectual modules beside the usual 2D and 3D CAD modules
- openSCAD - a functional 3D modelling language featuring parameterized objects based on primitive solids and boolean CSG operations -- A software dev's choice.
- Inkscape + Jürgen's 3D extension
- Blender (anyone?) is by far and definitly the most complete open source animation and CAD application and most highly recommended, but has its own learning curve.
- Solvespace is a simple and intuitive 3d CAD modeling tool, with capabilities to export triangulated CAD model which can be viewed using a browser.
- Cura Engine is a slicer engine for generating gcode for 3D printers
- Cura is a UI frontend for Cura Engine and for controlling your printer.
- Printrun can be used to control the printer on command line
Various [openSUSE:Science_Repositories|repositories] can be found basically in three projects.
- That stable science projects hosts most applications. However many of them a relative outdated.
- Esp. apps like FreeCAD and Cura should be used from the science:unstable project
- There is a special project hosting the code base of the forked apps from AlephObjects science:unstable:LulzBot project. This needed for LulzBot printers for example