tagline: From openSUSE
Spring Engine is a RTS engine for many different types of strategy games/mods. The first goal was to create a engine for a 3D replacement of the Total Annihilation Game. After some years of development the goal turned. Since 2007 the goal is to provide a RTS game engine for large scaled battles in 3D.
- Large battles limited only by the power of your computer; support for up to 5000 units.
- Large, highly detailed maps in which to wage those battles, fully 3D with deformable terrain, forest fires, dynamic and reflective water, and custom sky boxes.
- Several camera modes, allowing for anything to be viewed from almost any angle.
- Fully 3D combat in land, sea, and air, with realistic weapon trajectories.
- Many different mods, some of them originally from Total Annihilation, and some made just for Spring.
- Compatible with unit files from Total Annihilation, allowing 3rd party units to easily be moved into Spring.
- Complex 3rd party AIs, some of which are quite good.
- An extremely powerful GUI, designed to minimize unnecessary micromanagement.
- Multiplayer support for 16 players
SpringRTS is just an engine. For multiplayer support you need a lobby client like SpringLobby. You can choose a game in the Battlelist tab and SpringLobby will try to download the game and map for you.
The Spring engine also has it's own package management and downloading system rapid which is accessible via the command line. To install it
sudo zypper install python-devel python-pip
sudo pip install rapid-spring --upgrade
rapid pin zk:stable
to download the stable version of Zero-K or
rapid pin s44:latest
to get the development version of Spring: 1944.
See http://springrts.com/wiki/Maps on how to obtain new maps.
You can also download maps and mods from the following community websites: