SDB:What is a console
The combination of display monitor and keyboard (or other device that allows input) is known as a console. Another term for console is terminal.
The term console usually refers to a:
- terminal attached to a minicomputer or mainframe and used to monitor the status of the system.
- virtual terminal
- GUI program that provides console functionality
- Command Line Interface (CLI) which is one of tools to interact with computers.
A shell is a program that implements such interface is often called a command line interpreter (CLI) or shell.
- Bourne shell (sh)
- Almquist shell (ash)
- Bourne-Again shell (bash)
- Korn shell (ksh)
- C shell (csh)
- TENEX C shell (tcsh)
- Es shell (es)
- rc shell (rc) - shell for Plan 9 and Unix
- scsh (Scheme Shell)
- Z shell (zsh)