SDB:Newsgroup reader software configuration
Newsgroups Reader Configuration
Thunderbird is a multi-platform email/news/RSS application from Mozilla. To configure it to read from an NNTP server folow these steps:
- Click on Edit->Account Settings->Add Account or on Local Folders->Create a new account.
- Select the newsgroup account radio button from the list and click Next. Enter your name and email address and click Next. You have the choice of entering it right.
- Enter the NNTP server name and click Next and in the next dialog box enter a name for the newsgroup. Click Next and then Finish.
- Click on the new newsgroup account on the left pane followed by "Manage newsgroup Subscriptions" on the right pane. Let Thunderbird connect to the server and fetch a list of groups. Check the groups you want to subscribe to.
- To change server ports and other settings, select the newsgroup in the left pane and click on "View settings for this account". You can put your details like email address, reply-to address etc. here. If you have SSL connection, go to Server settings. You may also change the port here.
KNode is the KDE Usenet news reader. To configure it to read from an NNTP server follow these steps:
- Click on Settings->Accounts.
- Then click on the "Add" button. In the dialog box that appears enter the server name and a name for the newsgroup. The port is assigned 119, default NNTP port; change it if your NNTP server requires so.
- If your server requires authentication, check the Server requires authentication box and provide username and password and click OK.
- Then select the newsgroup name and click on Subscribe button. In the dialog box that appears, fetch the newsgroup hierarchy and check the ones you want to subscribe to.