openSUSE Firefox extension
- The SUSEfox extension is meant as collection for features which are too intrusive to do as a general Firefox modification and/or are still deliverable as an optional feature which doesn't modify original Firefox functionality when disabled.
- It is installed automatically with every openSUSE branded Firefox starting from openSUSE 11.2 but can still be disabled per profile in the Add-on manager.
- It has been created based on Ubuntu's GPL licensed UBUFOX and serves currently similar purposes.
- Improved Plugin Finder Service which includes as RPM packaged plugins available in openSUSE repositories. (various Flash players, Java plugins, Moonlight, ...). The install is performed by the YaST2 oneclick installer.
- Selection dialog to choose a certain plugin for a mimetype. (e.g. you can install gnash and swfdec (both are Flash players) and every user can select which plugin is used in his own Firefox)
SUSEfox is meant as a collection of integration features so if anyone has an idea or even want to contribute please contact us (or use the discussion page).
The backend service is running on pluginfinder.opensuse-community.org but the database behind it needs to get updated manually for additional plugins and distributions. In the long term it would be nice to have something integrated in the repository data so all the information can be fetched in an automated way from there.
There are some ideas for the latter how we could enhance our package metadata using RPM Provides
- susefox : openSUSE firefox extension project on Gitorious