It is Swiss Army knife for console operations and once you learn it, you will ask yourself how you did it without. It will save you learning a lot of commands and its switches.
To install Midnight Commander get root permissions and enter the following code in a terminal:
zypper install mc
Starting Midnight Commander
Open console and type on command prompt:
and press Enter.
There are other ways to start mc. If you enter a directory, it will open in that directory
will open the current directory and ~/.mc
mc ~/.mc /usr/share/mc
will open ~/.mc and /usr/share/mc
The first directory will be in the pannel you were in the last time you opend mc. e.g. if you left mc with the right pannel selected, mc ~/.mc /usr/share/mc will open /usr/share/mc on the left and ~/.mc on the right.
- Directory browsing
- View files
- View archives (compressed files)
- Edit files
- Execute commands
Enter has few functions:
- if you have text in command line (one with command prompt, above function keys in the last) it will be executed as command
- if command line is empty than it will do something with selected file in active panel:
- if file is executable - it will be executed
- if there is plugin able to open file it will be opened (rpm, tgz, gz, etc)
- Ctrl + r will refresh active panel
- Ctrl + x c opens chmod dialog for marked file
- Ctrl + x o opens chown dialog for marked file
- Alt + ? opens search dialog
- Ctrl-x a Open VFS list. If a ftp session times out, you can use this to free the open vfs so you can log in again.
- TAB is switching focus between left and right panel
- Insert marks or removes mark on file(s)
- Alt + g marks first file or directory in active panel
- Alt + r marks middle file or directory in active panel
- Alt + j marks last file or directory in active panel
- Alt + s incremental search
- Ctrl + / Look for filename given in last line of active panel (not whole screen), and jumps on first file
- * marks removes marking for all files in active panel (not directories)
- + (Plus) brings up the input box where it can be given regular expression. All files with names that fill condition(s) in regular expression will be marked.
- \ (Backslash) remove marking for more data (opposite to "+")
- Alt + Enter copies selected filename in command line
- Ctrl + Shift + Enter copies full path of selected file in the command line
- Alt + H shows command line history
- F1 Help
- F2 Opens user menu
- F3 View selected file content
- F4 Opens file in internal text editor
- F5 Copies selected file. Default is to another panel, but it asks first.
- F6 Moving file. Default is to another panel, but it asks first.
- F7 Make directory.
- F8 Delete file or directory.
- F9 Opens main menu at the top of the screen.
- F10 Ends current action; editor, viewer, dialog window or ends mc program.