If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/
Archive:Board meeting 2020-03-31
Minutes from 2020-03-31 board meeting
Attendees: Gerald Pfeifer, Axel Braun, Simon Lees, Vinzenz Vietzke, Marina Latini
Guests: Douglas, Matthias G. Eckermann.
Minutes keeper: Marina Latini
- Matthias and Douglas from SUSE: increase collaboration between openSUSE and SUSE
- Request for election officials
- Face to face board meeting
- Communication channels
1 Matthias and Douglas from SUSE: increase collaboration between openSUSE and SUSE
Matthias and Douglas from SUSE joined the board meeting for discussing how to increase the collaboration between openSUSE and SUSE.
- Lunch & Learn internal SUSE meeting
- the topic is still under discussion at SUSE with still some ongoing clarification.
- general support on the proposal but with some points to be clarified.
NOTE: confidential topic
- current challenges
- stage approach vs flat
- different build and maintenance approaches
- SLE and Leap codebase more diverse than expected
- buy-in from community is needed
- the board is not the decision authority or a technical decision authority
- several POV in the community
- anyone pushing this too much likely to have an adversary effect
- we want to present the idea to the community and let them decide about their goals and steps forward.
A stage approach appears the approach recommended.
- When the binary compatibility will be achieved the switch from openSUSE to SUSE Linux Enterprise or vice versa will be just a re-branding plus few minor packages (the 30 complex).
- The developer program will take advantage from this.
- MicroOS could be one of the projects developed under this new developer approach with a synergy between SUSE and openSUSE
- Leap and Uyuni could be leveraged
- this week
- finish technical assessment
- work on message for openSUSE community
- pre-information for some presenters at virtual SUSECON (sessions about SLE and openSUSE)
- next week (or shortly after Easter)
- openSUSE board sends proposal to the community
- who decides what the result is?
- Once (kind of) agreement is visible
- publish prototype in OBS
Simon: how this process could work for a non employee contributing to the packages and maintaining it
Matthias: not yet interlocked internally at SUSE
- reproducible builds in IBS and OBS could be an advantage for SUSE and community
- few partners with NDA.
- feature process should be open: still a challenge how to implement it (SUSE is on Jira)
OLD approach for Leap:
- message from SUSE offering
- message from Board discussing about the proposal
2 Request for election officials
- Gerald approached the election officials for the non-confidence topic and the board seat replacement. Even if COVID-19 is burning time and energies the election officials are on the topic.
3 Face to face board meeting
decision: deferred until the board will be fully staffed again and global travel restrictions are resolved.
4 Communication channels
The Document Foundation tested also BigBlueButton.
AI Marina: keep updating about jitsi vs. BigBlueButton and suggest best option to select
AI for all the board: revisit the ongoing discussion for drafting a proposal.