This wiki was updated to MediaWiki 1.37. If you notice any issues, please report them to admin[at]opensuse.org
openSUSE:OpenSUSE-artwork group at Flickr
This is a proposal for rules for artwork that is acceptable for additional selection of wallpapers posted on openSUSE artwork group at Flickr].
Reason to use Flickr is to have easy way to contribute photographs and images to openSUSE.
Reason for rules is to help contributors to understand what we are looking for.
- Avoid high frequency images that have a lot of details. A soft focus is one way to achieve this.
- Consider how the wallpaper will interact with the panels, icons and windows.
- Design must accommodate pieces of both, gnome and kde desktop, like panels and icons.
- The final dimension should be at least 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- The image should be resizable to different formats. For some sizes it might be necessary to crop out parts of the image.
- openSUSE (R) is a registered trademark and a brand. Please check branding guidelines for further information.
- You can create photos or images inspired by Geeko.
- Your image should strive for subtlety and poetry.
- Regardless of the role or inspiration, the desired result of the successful submissions will render feelings which may be described as light, bright, or cheerful.
- Visually, it should settle into the “background” of the activity scene; it’s purpose is to be backgound image.
- Show restraint in your use of color tone and contrast. The wallpaper sets the scene for other elements, it is not the main act.
- Avoid prominent use of the openSUSE logo. It appears in enough places already.
- No version numbers. Some users may desire to use an older theme, or use the latest theme in their older version of openSUSE. Let your submission be about choice and do not use version numbers in your artwork.
- Avoid text, it calls for attention too much and will likely look bad when scaled. Plus it can't be translated easily.
- Be careful with small patterns, they might become uneven when scaled.
- Submissions must adhere to the Creative Commons ShareAlike 3.0 license (or another free OS license) that permits use in commercial settings. We have derivative distributions and some are commercial products.
- No branding assets or text requiring permit..
- No brand names or trademarks of any kind.
- Attribution must be declared when the submission is based on another design. This helps to avoid possible legal problems down the road.
- No designs which promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against groups or individuals; or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- No illustrations some may consider inappropriate, offensive, hateful, tortuous, defamatory, slanderous or libelous.
- No sexually explicit or provocative images.
- No images of weapons or violence.
- No alcohol, tobacco, or drug use imagery.
- No religious, political, or nationalist imagery.