openSUSE @ JDLL 2018
The openSUSE Project is planning to attend JDLL 2018 (Journées du Logiciel Libre)
Event website JDLL
* Location: Lyon, France * Date: ** Booth Setup: 2018.03.24 ** End: 2018.03.25 * Opening Times: 10 am - 6 pm (10h - 18h)
* How many attendees does the event have? ± 3000 * Who is organizing this event? ALDIL * What are the target visitors for this event? students, FOSS contributors, FOSS users, newbies * Registration required? No * Who is organizing this event from openSUSE?
What will be there
- openSUSE talks:
- TBC (possibly about OBS)
- openSUSE booth with demo PC
Of course, events need to be promoted! Social media:
- See our social media contacts page to get the official openSUSE channels to promote your event
- what's the hashtag of the event? Tweet that #openSUSE is coming! #jdll
- what is the facebook event page?
- openSUSE facebook event page, if relevant? Do some openSUSE posts!
http://www.jdll.org/ Here is the report I did (French) : https://www.alionet.org/content.php?814-Compte-rendu-des-Journ%E9es-du-Logiciel-Libre
- mail to project, marketing and ambassador mailing lists done? Yeah, got a box !
Attendees, presence and travel info
Who will attend from/for openSUSE? Please fill in your name if you're going. And arrival & departure date & time so maybe you can share a train or cab, and we might organize a hotel together. In case you need travel support (see * below) fill in your estimated travel costs.
||Helps at booth
||Gives a talk (about)|
|Sogal||openSUSE France / Alionet||Saturday 9:00||Sunday 18:00||127.0.0.1||Nope||I'll be event coordinator for openSUSE Fr community||I'll hold the booth!|
Some material is needed for the booth setup. Please add things you are able to provide:
|laptop with 17" screen||Sogal||1||I can booth with openSUSE stick!|
|openSUSE Stickers remaining from POSS||Sogal||100|
|openSUSE + Alionet flyers||Sogal||100 + 100|
|USB Keys||Sogal||TBD||To be prepared with Leap 42.3|
|openSUSE Baseball Caps||Sogal||3|
Please add the things which you may require from the international team. Be sure to share this with the -marketing list!
The international team can (depending on how much time there is and where you are) send you booth kits. These contain at least 100 openSUSE DVD's per box and depending on availability also:
- 50 laptop stickers
- 100 flyers
- 3 posters
- some pluche geeko's and/or other small goodies
- green table cloth
- bootable openSUSE USB stick with marketing materials and ready-to-go demo setup
On average, you need 1 kit per ~400 visitors (???).
|# booth kits
||# other things?|
After the Event
Try to answer the questions below and get us the answers to help us improve our support for you!
JDLL 2018 // Event report edit
- About the visitors:
- What kind of people come to the event? Students and newbies
- How technical is the event? There is all level, very technical things (Rust, BGP) and general free software talks
- How much is it about 'open source'? It is definitely an 100% Free software event
- Attendance Details
- Tell us about the event Talk to a lot of people, offer them to look and try openSUSE at the boot, help openSUSE users if they needed it
- Did you have a booth and how did that work? Yep, I held a booth, people were happy to see openSUSE which is not known as it deserve in France
- did we meet noteworthy people? they all are !
- What can we improve for the future...
- Would you go again? Sure !
- What more can you do to make it better? I will make video and presentation as well as translate flyers in French !
The flyers have three goals:
- give people something they can take home to study and find links to further information (we used to have people photograph the posters, that is why the flyers have the same information on them!)
- get people intrigued and get them to ask questions
- give something to our ambassadors to talk about to booth visitors
- note that ambassadors are often not as knowledgeable as we are about openSUSE and need this
- did people take the flyers, read them? Yes, but they were in english so most people didn't read them fully
- did they lead to questions?
- did/can the booth people use the flyers as 'talking points'?
- anything else?
- We also have DVD's, stickers and pluche geeko's and t-shirts. We know the pluche geeko's are popular. How about the DVD's, T-shirts, stickers and other things? Do you think they're worth the effort? Can we improve? What do others do?
I had bootable USB key with Leap 42.3 on it, I sold a lot of it (they were paid by the french community)
Common Questions Asked edit
Please tell us what commonly asked questions you've got!
- Question 1
- Question 2
- and so on...
JDLL 2018 About the presentations edit
Presentation materials go here if you have anything to share. Note that it is important to have things (translated, too!) in our github repo under marketing slides!
- What talks did openSUSE give
- name, topic,
- was it well attended?
- link to slides
- link to video
- name, topic,
- did we do a BoF
- topic, attendees, results
- did we do a workshop?
- number of attendees
Recordings of the event edit
(more recordings or links to pictures)