What is Ceph
Ceph is a unified, distributed storage system designed for excellent performance, reliability and scalability.
Upstream Ceph documentation can be found here.
The SUSE Enterprise Storage documentation should also be generally applicable to running Ceph on openSUSE, but you'll want to substitute container images from registry.suse.com with those from registry.opensuse.org.
Installing Ceph on openSUSE
Ceph is included in openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed:
- openSUSE Leap 15.2 with Ceph Octopus (15.x)
- openSUSE Leap 15.3 with Ceph Pacific (16.x)
- openSUSE Tumbleweed with Ceph Pacific (16.x)
The cephadm package in the above distros can be used for manual deployment. To use ceph-salt for deployment as mentioned in the SUSE Enterprise Storage documentation, you'll also need to add one of the following repos:
- filesystems:ceph:octopus for openSUSE Leap 15.2 with Ceph Octopus (15.x)
- filesystems:ceph:pacific for openSUSE Leap 15.3 or Tumbleweed with Ceph Pacific (16.x)
Ceph container images are on registry.opensuse.org:
- openSUSE Leap 15.2 with Ceph Octopus: registry.opensuse.org/filesystems/ceph/octopus/images/ceph/ceph
- openSUSE Leap 15.3 with Ceph Pacific: registry.opensuse.org/filesystems/ceph/pacific/images/ceph/ceph
- openSUSE Tumbleweed with Ceph Pacific: registry.opensuse.org/opensuse/ceph/ceph
The OBS projects will shift as upstream releases occur; filesystems:ceph is the devel project for Ceph in Tumbleweed, and currently tracks Ceph Pacific. LTS Ceph releases are from subprojects as mentioned above, and will go out with particular Leap releases.
Mailing Lists, IRC, etc.
- https://ceph.io/en/community/connect/ - Ceph upstream community mailing lists and IRC channels.