Starting YaST from KDE is quite simple.
- click on the kickoff-applet (the geeko)
- switch to the Computer tab
- select Administrator Settings
You will be prompted for the root password to continue.
In GNOME it is quite similar to start YaST.
- click on the main menu button
- select Control Center
Now you can directly run the modules presented in the overview.
You will always be asked for the root password. You may continue to
- select YaST from the list
You will be prompted for the root password and a new Control Center will pop up.
Other Way, works at all GUIs
- Press ALT and F2
- Run YaST by typing:
- yast for root account and KDE
- GUI`s name: kdesu/gnomesu yast2
- Type root`s password
As YaST offers a ncurses user interface you can even run it in the text console. Open a console or switch to a terminal and
- make sure you are logged in as user root (if not become root by typing su)
- start YaST by typing yast
If you are an advanced user and want to start YaST in a more comfortable way, you may add yourself to the sudoers list. Find a short Howto on the sudo page. As a sudo user you can start YaST any time without being prompted for the root password.