Starting YaST from KDE is quite simple.
- click on the kickoff-applet (the geeko)
- switch to the Computer tab
- select Administrator Settings
You will be prompted for the root password to continue.
Invocation of YaST via GNOME is quite similar.
- Click on the main menu button.
- Select Control Center.
Now you can directly run the modules presented in the overview.
You will always be asked for the root password. You may continue to:
- Select YaST from the list.
You shall be prompted for the root password and a new Control Center
Other Way, works at all GUIs
- Press ALT and F2.
- Run YaST by typing:
- yast for root account and KDE.
- GUI's name: kdesu/gnomesu yast2.
- Type the password of the root account.
Because YaST does offer an ncurses user interface, it can be invoked by almost any text console. Invoke a console, or switch to a terminal, and:
- Ensure that you are logged-in as the user that is root (if not, become root by typing su), and:
- Start YaST by typing yast.
If you are an advanced user and want to start YaST in a more comfortable way, you may add yourself to the sudoers list. Find a short Howto on the sudo page. As a sudo user you can start YaST any time without being prompted for the root password.