tagline: From openSUSE
Welcome to the KIWI Portal edit
The openSUSE KIWI Image System provides a complete operating system image solution for Linux supported hardware platforms as well as for virtualisation systems like Xen, Qemu or VMware
With KIWI you can
- Create a tuned server appliance, containing your application and just enough operating system components
- Spin a live CD or DVD with just the packages and software you need
- Create a ready-to-run VMware virtual appliance
- Create a live USB key and carry your Linux system with you wherever you go
- Build a hard disk image for preloading onto hardware
- Build a new openSUSE project like openSUSE Medical
- and much more ...
The easy recipes provided below allow you to copy & paste the commands to a terminal in an effort to help you to get started quickly with KIWI
Random question and answers edit
Q: Which package format can I use with KIWI?
At the moment KIWI supports the package managers smart and zypper. The package format is dependent on the selected packag manager. The table below shows the repository format supported by the two package managers.
Things to do edit
If you would like requesting enhancements, reporting bugs or submitting patches, then please visit http://bugzilla.novell.com and enter the following data
- Classification: All
- Product: openSUSE.org
- Component: System Imaging
- Summary : "kiwi: <summarize your report here>"
and your description.
Please also look at http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports for details about submitting bugs.
Here a convenient URL to file a new KIWI bug (with the settings above)
All of KIWI edit
Related Points to be noted
Projects using KIWI
- SUSE Studio uses KIWI as backend. It provides a web interface for creating custom Linux, fast and easy, in your browser.
- The Open Build Service
- LTSP5 on openSUSE LTSP
- SUSE Linux Point of Service uses KIWI together with the YaST-based Image Creator frontend to build OS images for Point of Service terminals.
- YaST module providing GUI for KIWI is called Image Creator.
Products built with KIWI
- IBM Smart Analytics System 5710 uses KIWI to produce an automated deployment toolkit to provide faster time-to-value for partners and clients.
Other places where KIWI has been used
- Beineri: KDE Four Live
- duncanmv: Helping create a test environment for Linux
- dl9pf: openSUSE buildservice VMware image
- Kolab on openSUSE SDB:Kolab
- LimeJeos on openSUSE LimeJeos. A Linux minimal edition just enough operating system for building software appliances on top of openSUSE.
- cgoncalves: openSUSE 11.0 KDE3 LiveCDs
- Dell Blog: Dell TechCenter Blogs
In the news edit