It's a program that helps you track your family tree.
Gramps allows you to store, edit, and research genealogical data. It attempts to provide all of the common capabilities of other genealogical programs.
In addition it lets you input any bits and pieces of information directly into Gramps and rearrange/manipulate any/all data events in the entire data base (in any order or sequence) to assist the user in doing research, analysis and correlation with the potential of filling relationship gaps.
- Easy to use. A well designed user interface makes entering data easy. Browser like controls allow you to navigate your family tree with ease.
- Nine different views for navigating your family
- Bookmark favorite individuals for quick access. (The number able to be marked is unlimited)
- Custom filters. In addition to the numerous preset filters, create any number of selections based on interesting facts about your family to use for reports and data exports.
- Link any media or filetype to your Gramps family tree. Choose between copying or linking the file to the database.
- Privacy options allow restriction of any information marked with this option or information about living individuals. Data marked with this option can be excluded in reports and data exports.
- Multiple calendars and date ranges are supported. You can convert between Gregorian, Julian, Hebrew, French republican, Persian and Islamic calendars from within Gramps via the Date selection window, and you can use fuzzy dates like about 1874, estimated 1905, ...
- Multiple languages and cultures support is mature.
- Generate brief or detailed reports for the ancestors or descendants of an individual.
- A rich set of tools includes operations such as checking database for errors and consistency, as well as the research and analysis tools such as event comparison, duplicate people finding, interactive descendant browser, and others.
- Import/Export support for several different formats.
Gramps uses GTK toolkit and supports Python plugins.