awesome is a highly configurable, next generation framework window manager for X. It is very fast, extensible and licensed under the GNU GPLv2 license.
It is primarly targeted at power users, developers and any people dealing with every day computing tasks and who want to have fine-grained control on theirs graphical environment.
Install the awesome package
open your .xinitrc and add 'exec awesome' to start awesome after login. Make sure all other exec commands are commented out
- Very stable, fast and small codebase and footprint;
- First window manager using asynchronous XCB library instead of the old synchronous Xlib: make awesome less subject to latency than many window managers;
- Very well documented source code and API;
- No mouse needed: everything can be performed with keyboard;
- Real multihead support (XRandR, Xinerama or Zaphod mode) with per screen desktops (tags);
- Implement many Freedesktop standards: EWMH, XDG Base Directory, XEmbed, Desktop Notification, System Tray;
- Doesn't distinguish between layers: there is no floating or tiled layer;
- Use tags instead of workspaces: allow to place clients on several tags, and display several tags at the same time;
- A lot of Lua extensions to add features: dynamic tagging, widget feeding, tabs, layouts …;
- D-Bus support;
- And more.
There is an appliance available on Suse Studio.