If you did not migrate your account yet, visit https://idp-portal-info.suse.com/
Archive:Weekly news 41
Welcome to issue #41 of openSUSE Weekly News!
In this week:
- Advance notice of discontinuation of openSUSE 10.2
- openSUSE-Education 1.0 for 11.0 is Ready
- openSUSE 11.1 Beta 2 Now Available
- Board Election - Phase 1: Nomination of second voters
- openSUSE News: Status of the e1000e Issue
- 1 Announcements
- 2 In the Community
- 3 Status Updates
- 4 Planet SUSE
- 5 Past Meetings
- 6 Upcoming Events/Meetings
- 7 Security Updates
- 8 On the Web
- 9 Statistics
- 10 Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
- 11 Credits
- "SUSE Security announces that openSUSE 10.2 will be discontinued soon. Having provided security-relevant fixes for more than two years, we will stop releasing updates after November 30th 2008."
- "The openSUSE-Education Add On for openSUSE 11.0 is ready! Big steps compared to the 10.3 release..."
- "I’m glad to announce the availability of repositories tree on Russian mirror..."
- "The first beta release for 11.1 was so popular, we’ve decided to do it again! The openSUSE Project is happy to announce the release of openSUSE 11.1 beta 2, available for immediate download and testing..."
In the Community
- "I probably could make here the longest title just naming everything we have so far as designation for the job :-) ... So what is it about?"
Phase 1: Nomination of second voters
During this phase each openSUSE member may appoint a second person to be eligible to vote (which is not a member). This person should be an active contributor of the openSUSE community and needs also an account at users.openSUSE.org.
Everyone in the electoral register for the openSUSE Board Election 2008 can appoint an additional voter from September, 25th till October, 9th 2008 (12 UTC) at the election pages of users.opensuse.org.
- Status openSUSE distribution 1, 2 - Beta2 out Friday, Oct 3rd (~10:00 UTC)
- Has the kernel split into three packages? - Answer: Yes
- Proposal: packagers meeting
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
- "Using only http for transfering files will be a thing from the past very soon. We know all the problems distributing content to large audiences companies face, and Peter Poeml knows it very well too. So Peter mentored Gerard Farràs during the last Summer of Code, and the result was a ZYpp media handler that uses aria2 to download files, instead of curl. (May be aria uses curl for http then, I have no idea ;-) )."
- "This is an update on the status of the e1000e issue. Our openSUSE 11.1 Beta 1 release contained a bug that would cause the non-volatile memory (NVM) of the e1000e controller to be corrupted in certain hardware combinations. This NVM is shared with other components of the system. We are still working on root-causing the issue, in close cooperation with developers from Intel and the general Linux community."
- "Apple’s iPhone is beating the Amazon Kindle at its own game — what a shame. It doesn’t have to be that way, though. Amazon could put the iPhone to shame if they’d make the Linux-based Kindle open to developers."
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
- Package: kernel
- Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2008:047
- Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:00:00 +0000
- Package: kernel
- Announcement ID: SUSE-SA:2008:048
- Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:00:00 +0000
On the Web
- "However for the casual, or even experienced linux user without a need or desire for specific applications, SUSE is really a great choice."
- "Christoph Thiel has announced the second beta release of openSUSE 11.1 ..."
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to the previous week.
lists.opensuse.org has 35904 (+29) non-unique subscribers to all mailing lists. The openSUSE Forums have 12423 (+737) registered users - most users including guests ever online was 1619, 02-Oct-2008 at 17:01.
The Build Service now hosts 4042 (+87) projects, 50018 (+256) packages, 7864 (+152) repositories by 9416 (+214) confirmed users.
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
- All Open Reports: 4290 (-88)
- Blocker: 17 (-10)
- Critical: 235 (-10)
- Major: 719 (-4)
- Normal: 2293 (-54)
- Minor: 431 (-2)
- Enhancements: 595 (-8)
Daily updated translation statistics are available on the openSUSE Localization Portal.
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! To communicate and get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/?feed=rss2