Archive:Weekly news 18
tagline: From openSUSE
Welcome to issue #18 of openSUSE Weekly News!
In this week:
- openSUSE Project Releases Major Update to openSUSE Build Service
- Counting down to 11.0 - Get your counter here!
- LugRadio Live (so far)
- Tips and Tricks: Colored shell
- Stephan Kulow: openSUSE 11.0: Package installation 743% faster for default patterns
- 1 Announcements
- 2 In the Community
- 3 Status Updates
- 4 Tips and Tricks
- 5 Planet SUSE
- 5.1 Pascal Bleser: Countdown to 11.0
- 5.2 Duncan Mac-Vicar P.: openSUSE 11.0 beta coming
- 5.3 Aaron Bockover: Banshee 1.0 Alpha 3
- 5.4 Egbert Eich: RadeonHD 1.2 is out!
- 5.5 Stephan Kulow: openSUSE 11.0: Package installation 743% faster for default patterns
- 5.6 Lukas Ocilka: Automatic Configuration in openSUSE 11.0
- 5.7 Stephan Binner: KDE 4.0 on HP 2133 Mini-Note
- 6 Past Meetings
- 7 Upcoming Events/Meetings
- 8 Security Updates
- 9 In the Press
- 10 Statistics
- 11 Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
- 12 Credits
- "The openSUSE team is proud to announce another major release of the openSUSE Build Service (OBS). This release brings a new level to OBS scalability by adding the ability for OBS instances to interact. Read more ..."
- "Hey ho, we have a few new mailing lists available."
- "Squeegee...a new openSUSE project i have begun. I started it last year with a few members on the team and now am seeing more come to light as we continue to forge its path. Read more..."
- " You can help spread the word for openSUSE 11.0 before it’s released! The openSUSE project now has countdown banners that display the number of days before the next openSUSE release. Read more..."
In the Community
- "The first day of LugRadio Live was a blast — arrived at the Metreon bright and early to set up the booth and check in about 8 a.m. The LRL staff were already there setting up, and were amazingly cheerful at such an obscene hour of the morning. Read more..."
- We're busy right now preparing beta1 and for that we took quite some package updates. So we didn't have a really meaningful rebuild since last status update. I hope the best for beta1, but I already expect a delay of at least one day - meaning announcement on friday.
- Build Service Status No team meeting this week, since several members are away and the rest is busy on getting version 0.9 ready.
- Build Service Status report Topics:
- Status reports
- 0.9 Release
- 1.0 Release
- Linuxtag 28-31.05. Berlin
- everything on hold until we have an updated wiki version online
Tips and Tricks
Tired seeing white letters on a black screen ? Try these ! Have phun ...
Colored shell on top with clock:
export PS1='\e[1A\e[s\e[H\e[37;44;1m\e[K \u@\h: \e[33;44;1m\w \e[199C\e[8D\e[37;44;1m [\A] \e[0m\e[u\n$ '
or colored shell:
If you like one of these, you can add it to your ~/.bashrc !
Little contest: Post your colored shell as comment !
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
- "So here it is, finally, the localized server-side rendered countdown to 11.0 release."
- Big thanks to all involved community members! Well done !
- "openSUSE 11.0 beta is coming. This means that all the pieces of the update stack have to be in place by then. While reading Review: Hat Trick For Fedora 9 Beta, it caught my attention that the author says “Fedora continues to wear the innovation hat” because some of the changes described there. I did not see any killer feature openSUSE 11.0 does not have too, and a few ones are worth to highlight ..."
- "Two weeks to the day after the fantastic Alpha 2 release, I’m pleased to announce our third and most spectacular release, quickly leading up to the final Banshee 1.0."
- "It's been a while since the last release of the RadeonHD driver. Since then this driver has made a lot of progress ... "
- " We implemented some very interesting features for openSUSE 11.0 to make the installation easier and faster:"
- giving it a green face
- making the configuration automatic
- switching from bzip to lzma for rpm payload
- put images of default patterns on the DVDs
- move online update to the desktop applets
- improved package management speed
- Article about the "automatic configuration" feature for openSUSE 11.0
- "Last week HP announced it's Mini-Note PC with preloads of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10. Our heros of the Mobile Devices Team have worked the last weeks on that ... So I had to lend one from Mobile Devices team and play with it."
- "The KDE team met on Wednesday 2008/04/16. There's a transcript available."
- "April 17 - see the Roadmap."
- Penguicon is not your typical Linux show — there’s tons of Linux goodness, of course, but also some awesome sci-fi tracks, and webcomics… I’m very much looking forward to hearing (and with any luck meeting) Sci-Fi author John Scalzi, and the genius behind xkcd.
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
- "The Adobe Flash Player was updated to version 18.104.22.168 to fix several security problems. In the worst case an attacker could potentially have flash-player execute arbitrary code via specially crafted files, for instance embedded in web pages."
- Solved Security Vulnerabilities:
- openssh X access leakage and ForceCommand bypass
- opera 9.27 security update
In the Press
- "After fetching the latest updates for KDE 4.0.3 packages for my openSUSE 10.3 distribution, I noticed quite a few graphics improvements that was expecting for some time now. Apart from graphics improvements, there are also quite a lot bug fixes."
- "...openSUSE, for the new Linux user, is really not a difficult install..."
- "Novell also announced Wednesday that it will officially participate in the LimeJeOS project, which is an existing community-led project building a minimized version of the openSuse Linux distribution."
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to the previous week.
The Build Service now hosts 2322 (+45) projects, 37447 (+280) packages, 5252 (+36) repositories by 5353 (+129) confirmed users.
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
- All Open Reports: 3773 (+25)
- Blocker: 30
- Critical: 161 (+7)
- Major: 564 (+15)
- Normal: 2168 (+13)
- Minor: 293
- Enhancements: 557 (-10)
The top 10 translation teams with the most translated strings of trunk:
- Japanese (ja): 31503 / 99%
- Ukraine (uk): 31503 / 99%
- Hungarian (hu): 31420 / 99%
- Portuguese Brazilian (pt_BR): 31152 / 98%
- Italian (it): 30597 / 97%
- Spanish (es): 30218 / 95% (3 ranks up)
- French (fr): 30175 / 95% (1 rank down)
- Portuguese (pt): 30042 / 95% (1 rank down)
- Danish (da): 29635 / 94% (new in top 10)
- Dutch (nl): obviously wrong data
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! To communicate and get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/