tagline: From openSUSE
- 11.2 - openSUSE 11.2
- 11.3 - openSUSE 11.3
- 11.4 - openSUSE 11.4
- 12.1 - openSUSE 12.1
- 12.2 - openSUSE 12.2
- 12.3 - openSUSE 12.3
- ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
- ADSL - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line
- APIC - Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (see also PIC and related)
- APT - Stands for Advanced Package Tool which is used in Debian based Linux distributions, not in openSUSE that is RPM based.
- Bash - Bourne-again shell
- BIOS -Basic Input Output System
- BNC - bugzilla.novell.com
- BST - Build Service Team
- DMA - Direct Memory Acces
- DSL - Digital Subscriber Line (see ADSL)
- DVD - Digital Versatile Disc
- DTD - Document Type Definition
- DRCS -Distributed revision control
- ESD - Electrostatic Discharge
- EMACS - Text Editor [Unix]
- EOF - End Of File
- EOA - End Of Address
- E-MAIL - Electronic Mail
- ENDEC - Encoder/Decoder
- ERR - Error
- openSUSE:FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions, see also openSUSE FAQ
- FOSDEM - Free and Open source Software Developers' European Meeting
- FSF - Free Software Foundation
- FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- GCC - GNU Compiler Collection
- GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
- GNOME - Historically, it started as GNU Network Object Model Environment, but today it is just the name for the very popular desktop environment GNOME.
- GNU - GNU's Not Unix
- GPL - GNU General Public License
- GTK - GIMP Toolkit
- HCL - Hardware Compatibility List
- HTML - HyperText Markup Language
- HTTP - HyperText Transfer Protocol
- IRC - Internet Relay Chat
- IRQ - Interrupt Request
- IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics (see also EIDE, ATA, SATA, PATA)
- KDE - K Desktop Environment
- LAN - Local Area Network
- LDAP - Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
- LDP - Linux Documentation Project
- LGPL - GNU Lesser General Public License
- LVM - Logical Volume Management
- LWE - Linux World Expo conferences
- LSB - Linux Standard Base
- PDF - Portable Document Format
- PHP - PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor
- PIC - Programmable Interrupt Controller (see also APIC)
- QA - Quality Assurance
- rcd - Red Carpet Daemon
- RPM - Originally standing for Red Hat Package Manager, it now stands for RPM Package Manager. A recursive acronym, one of many in Linux inspired with GNU - GNU is not UNIX.
- S.u.S.E - original SUSE company name, meaning "Software- und System-Entwicklung" ("Software and system development"). Also see the Good Bye Dots page.
- SUSE - a brand name, only historically related to the S.u.S.E. abbreviation.
- SDB - Support Data Base
- SDK - Software Development Kit
- SESUSE - Security Enhanced SUSE
- SLED - SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
- SLES - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
- SLICK - Super LIte Core + Kde was attempt to make SUSE light and fast. That effort is now part of the core distribution. SLICK as separate project does not exist.
- SR - Support Request for SLED or SLES products
- SVG - Scalable Vector Graphics
- UPS - Uninterruptible power supply
- USB - Universal Serial Bus
- VM - Virtual Machine
- WIP - Work in Progress
- WLAN - Wireless Local Area Network
- Wine - Wine Is Not an Emulator - a compatibility layer for running Windows programs under Linux.
- XFCE - originally stood for "XForms Common Environment"
- XML - Extensible Markup Language
- YaST - Yet another Setup Tool is the set of tools for software management and system configuration.
- YOU - YaST Online Update is one of YaST modules (tools) used to perform manual system update.
- YUM - |Yellow dog Updater, Modified is used in many RPM based distributions, but not in openSUSE that has YaST modules for package management and Zypper.
- ZYPP - Zen / YaST Packages Patches Patterns Products - The openSUSE package management handling.
- ZLM - ZENworks Linux Management from openSUSE perspective obsolete management concept