tagline: From openSUSE
Welcome to the Documentation Portal edit
A goal of the openSUSE project is to provide the highest quality documentation to the communities the project serves. The openSUSE community creates, edits, and refines comprehensive documentation, in the form of this wiki as well as traditional documentation, in many languages.
Browse the good old manuals at ActiveDoc.opensuse.org, throw us comments, pointers, and even new articles there.
openSUSE special configuration tools are usually named "YaST", because most of the work is done through YaST, but there are several independent tools one can get to know. We will try to have here a better documentation or links for these tools.
- YaST - The installation and system management tool
- Libzypp - The package management library
- Zypper - The package manager command line interface
- SuSEfirewall2 - The openSUSE firewall script
- Collection of user manuals and technical documentation for openSUSE and SLES related products as well as projects.
- The openSUSE cheat sheets are reference cards to print out for quick access.
- The openSUSE Community references page collects information about community projects and their best practices, while the openSUSE Marketing references page looks at other projects and reads what experts write about marketing. The goal is to build a reference for those that like to look beyond our own openSUSE community to learn from others.
- openSUSE-Guide.org - Unofficial guide to the basics and background of openSUSE, with screenshots, screencasts etc.
- Linux in a Nutshell, Sixth Edition Since September 2009 in it's 6th edition printing is a highly recommended book (or ebook) from beginning Linux users to the more advanced. Linux in a Nutshell will get anyone new to Linux up and running with a base of knowledge from which to grow from - in addition it offers more advanced users a handy detailed reference.
- The SUSE Documentation Style Guide.
Things to do edit
- add section with task oriented list like (How do I):
- open Office documents?
- sort my [photos|music|poems|ebooks]?
- edit [photos|music|poems|ebooks]
- remove red eyes?
- enhance photos
- find my [photos|music|poems|ebooks] collection that is now in other OS?
- create FAQ with the same tasks that can be extended beyond portal page capacity, list it in the footer as More <something>
- minimize imagery (size and quantity) to achieve better page oversight,
create browsing on the right
set official documentation first
openSUSE project pages: