Help:Wiki reference card
tagline: From openSUSE
 Start a new page
To start a new page type http://en.opensuse.org/<Namespace:Page_title into address bar of your browser, where
- Namespace is the appropriate namespace for your article, and
- Page_title is title of your article.
In our wiki article title is part of URL, so pay attention when you choose it that is really something that you want to keep as title.
When you press enter you will see either existing page, so someone was faster and wrote article, or empty page informing you that such page does not exist, giving you few options: "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page. Select edit this page and start writing article.
Links to pages that don’t exist, will be in red. To create that page, simply click on that link to create it. An edit window will appear.
 Basic Formatting
''Italic text''gives Italic text
'''Bold text'''gives Bold text
'''''Bold & Italic text'''''gives Bold & Italic text
--~~~~gives after saving your signature
<nowiki>text w/o [[wikification]]</nowiki>gives text w/o [[wikification]] used in help like this one, to show wiki text.
<pre>block of text w/o reformatting</pre>gives
block of text w/o reformatting
- start line with a space gives the same as <pre>block of text w/o reformatting</pre>
- Use the = (Heading) markup, not the (bold) markup to create a heading. This way, the table of contents is automatically generated from the headings and that helps readers to go directly to the section of interest.
- Start with double equal sign == not a single =.
==heading 1== ===subheading 1.1=== ===subheading 1.2=== ==heading 2== ===subheading 2.2=== ====subheading 2.2.1==== =====subheading 126.96.36.199=====
Here you'll learn how to use lists in this wiki
* itemized list ----List with dots ** second level *** Third level # numbered list ----Numbered list ## second level ### Third level <!-- the css has to be fixed to show bold and ident using ; and : correctly --> ; DNA: Deoxyribonucleic acid ''----Definition list'' ;; rDNA: Ribosomal DNA : colon indents line :: more indented line
- Source:The most popular browser is [[Firefox]].
- Gives:The most popular browser is Firefox.
- Source: Mozilla Firefox home page is http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/ .
- Gives: Mozilla Firefox home page is http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/ .
Behind another text is the way majority web links work.
- Source: [http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/ Mozilla Firefox home page].
- Gives: Mozilla Firefox home page.
- Source: [[de:Wiki reference card]]
- Gives: link in the left sidebar
- Source: [[File:Icon-distribution.png|frame|Caption]]
- Source: [[File:Icon-distribution.png|thumb|Caption]]
A Table is an arrangement of columns and rows used to organize and position data.This page gives you information about to create the most basic one.
| topleft || topmiddle || topright
bottomleft || bottommiddle || bottomright
|+ Student List
! Name !! Age !! Sex
|Peter || align=right | 8 || m
|Paul || align=right | 12 || m
|Mary || align=right | 9 || f
More on - Table Templates
- Source: [[Category:News]]
- Gives: Adds the article to the Cateogry:News</blockquote>
- Note: New categories are created automatically}}
- Source: [[:Category:News]]
- Gives: link to Category:News
- Source: [[:Category:News|All news in openSUSE]]
- Gives: All news in openSUSE link to category with different name
- Categories can be member of other categories. This way you create hierachy of categories.
- Each category consists of 2 parts. First is article similar to other in the wiki and second is automatically created list of members (articles and categories).
- Special:Categories is list of all categories; red links are for those without first part
 Special characters
To insert a block of text from Template type
The template can be found under Template:Template_Name i.e http://en.opensuse.org/Template:Template_Name
More on Help Template