tagline: From openSUSE
Gedit is a free software, UTF-8 compatible text editor for the GNOME desktop environment. It is designed to have a clean, simple interface inspired by the ideals of the GNOME project. It can handle tabs and many more comfortable features.
- includes syntax highlighting for C, C++, CSS, HTML, Java, Perl, PHP, Python and many more programming- and scripting languages
- edit remote files via GNOME VFS libraries. It supports a full undo and redo system as well as search and replace.
- multilanguage spellchecking and a flexible plugin system. It allows to dynamically add new features, for example snippets and integration with external applications.
- line numbering, bracket matching, text wrapping, current line highlighting and automatic file backup.
- plugin-based integration of LaTeX
- support of collaborative writing with a new external third-party plugin