Archive:Weekly news 24
tagline: From openSUSE
Welcome to issue #24 of openSUSE Weekly News!
In this week:
- openSUSE 11.0 Release Candidate 1
- LinuxTag 2008
- People of openSUSE: Klaus Kämpf
- 1 Announcements
- 2 In the Community
- 3 Status Updates
- 4 Tips and Tricks
- 5 Planet SUSE
- 6 Past Meetings
- 7 Upcoming Events/Meetings
- 8 Security Updates
- 9 Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
- 10 Credits
- "The openSUSE Project is proud to announce the openSUSE 11.0 Release Candidate 1 (RC1). "
- "Don't miss the Talks during the openSUSE day at Linuxtag this saturday! There's a review of the upcoming openSUSE 11.0, a talk about the openSUSE buildservice and muchmore !"
What's up @ LinuxTag in Berlin ?
- Day -2: Martin Lasarsch: Linuxtag … T-2
- Day 1: Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: Hello Berlin! Day one of LinuxTag… , Vincent Untz: Ich bin ein Berliner
- Day 2: Martin Lasarsch: Linuxtag - Day 2
- Day 3: Cornelius Schumacher: LinuxTag Excitement
- "We're now asking for volunteers for the openSUSE election team to drive the election process."
- "The ICEcore team (another open source project from Novell) has announced a new release of ICEcore with new features that allow tracking of users, workspaces, and folders within the collaboration environment, and much more. See Brent's post for more information."
In the Community
- "Long time openSUSE developer Klaus Kämpf joined former S.u.S.E nine years ago and since then never looked back being committed to his System Management Architect job at Novell."
- openSUSE distribution status report: A bunch of good news ! Many bugs got fixed, so we're in a pretty good shape already for 11.0rc1.
- Results of hard disk configuration survey
Tips and Tricks
- "With 96MB of RAM, Linuxrc will not start on 11.0 (RC1). So I decided to exploit the image based installation, and not to use YaST at all for a change."
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
- "Last week, Indonesian openSUSE community (openSUSE-ID) had a regular monthly meeting on Saturday, May 24, 2008. for promotional and marketing benefit, we choose Detik.com-currently biggest online newspaper in Indonesia) office at Aldevco Octagon Building Jakarta as our location for meeting. This is our sixth regular meeting since November 2007."
- "One week ago I installed Fedora Core 9 distribution. But (experienced from openSUSE) there was something I missed : YaST and zypper. So I decide to port them to Fedora (and maybe to other distributons later)."
- "The coding for the Google Summer of Code 08 officially has started from 26th May. Here is the status of our project."
- "With the exams (and University!) having come to an end, I managed to create an updated version of the 1-click-installation for codecs in the latest openSUSE 11.0 RC1."
- "The Prague YaST2 team met on Tuesday, 27 May 2008."
- "The GNOME team met on Thursday, 29 May 2008. Watch the Meetings page for details."
- "Minutes from the YaST coord meeting 29 May 2008"
- "There will be an openSUSE Project Meeting on June 4, 2008 in the #openSUSE-project Freenode IRC channel"
- "Don't miss the next GNOME Team Meeting on Jung 6!"
- "Don't miss the next KDE Team Meeting on June 11!"
- "openSUSE 11.0 Public Release. See the roadmap"
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
No new updates.
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! To communicate and get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/?feed=rss2