Archive:Board election 2008
tagline: From openSUSE
Note: From each of this two groups the two persons with the most votes will be elected for the board. The chairman gets appointed by Novell. Please read the full description of the election process.
- Pascal Bleser (firstname.lastname@example.org, platform)
- Peter Linnell (email@example.com, platform)
- Tuukka Pasanen (firstname.lastname@example.org, platform)
- Alex Rodriguez (email@example.com, platform)
- Jakub Rusinek (firstname.lastname@example.org, platform)
- Bryen Yunashko (email@example.com, platform)
- Federico Mena-Quintero (firstname.lastname@example.org, platform)
- Marco Michna (email@example.com, platform)
- Stephen Shaw (firstname.lastname@example.org, platform)
- Henne Vogelsang (email@example.com, platform)
Note: The official result can be found at https://users.opensuse.org/elections/2/result.
The new board members are, from the Non-Novell side of the community Pascal Bleser and Bryen Yunashko and from the Novell side we have Henne Vogelsang and Federico Mena-Quintero. We are proud to announce that Michael Loeffler has been appointed by Novell as chairman of the new board. Being the candidates with the most votes in their category, Pascal and Henne already agreed to serve the board for the next two years. Bryen and Federico have been elected for one next year, hence the next election will take place about the same time next year.
August 24th, 2008 (Phase 0)
- Announcement of the openSUSE Board election 2008.
- Start of 4 week period to apply for an openSUSE membership (in order to vote).
- Start of 4 week phase to stand for a position in the openSUSE Board.
September 24th, 2008 
- Notification of intent to run, and application for an openSUSE membership close (end of phase 0).
September 25th, 2008 (Phase 1) 
- Start of 2 week period to nominate a second voter.
- Start of 2 week lasting campaign for the candidates.
October 9th, 2008 (Phase 2) 
- Nomination for second voters close (end of phase 1)
- Ballots open
October 25th, 2008 
- Ballots close (end of phase 2)
All deadlines start and end on the given dates at 12:00 UTC. For an overview what time this is in different timezones use the links above.
- Claes Backstrom (Community)
- Andrew Wafaa (Community)
- Marko Jung (Novell)
- Vincent Untz (Novell, deputy)
Detailed explanation of all phases
Phase 0: Notification of Intent to Run
Only openSUSE members have the right to run for a board seat, except if they are in the Election Committee. To stand for a position in the openSUSE board please send a mail to
You should use your application for a short introduction of yourself and probably a short manifesto/platform/program. In addition to using the above lists, it is recommended that you blog about your candidacy as this will reach a much wider audience of voters.
Phase 0: Application for an openSUSE membership
Note: Please apply as soon as possible to give the current board some time to review and approve/reject your application. Even if you meet the deadline, it may not be ensured that your openSUSE membership will be approved until just before the ballots open.
Phase 1: Nomination of second voters
During this phase each openSUSE member may appoint a second person to be eligible to vote (which is not a member). This person should be an active contributor of the openSUSE community and needs also an account at users.openSUSE.org.
Everyone in the electoral register for the openSUSE Board Election 2008 can appoint an additional voter from September, 25th till October, 9th 2008 (12 UTC) at the election pages of users.opensuse.org.
Phase 1: Campaign
During the campaign-phase there should be
- plenty of blog entries on the upcoming election by the candidates
- interviews with all candidates by the openSUSE news team
- a moderated Q&A session on IRC
Phase 2: Election
All persons with voting right will be able to cast their votes using an comfortable frontend. Once a vote has been submitted it may not be changed afterwards. All votes are stored anonymously in the electronic system.
The election in the community
- Andreas Jaeger: openSUSE Election Committee Founded (August 24th, 2008)
- Pascal Bleser: About the openSUSE Board and the Elections: Part1 (September 2nd, 2008), Part2 (September 3rd, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: openSUSE Board Elections (September 2nd, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: Announcing openSUSE Board Candidacy (September 3rd, 2008)
- Andreas Jaeger: openSUSE Board Election Comments (September 6th, 2008)
- Henne Vogelsang: Announcing Candidacy for openSUSE Community Board (September 9th, 2008)
- Marko Jung: Last Call for openSUSE Board Candidates (September 10th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: openSUSE Wants You (for the openSUSE board or membership) (September 10th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: openSUSE Wants You (Poster) (September 14th, 2008)
- Andrew Waafa: 160hrs Till Notifications And Applications Close (September 17th, 2008)
- Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek: Nominating myself for the first time (September 17th, 2008)
- Marco Michna: Daemon for president (September 18th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: Reminder: Deadline for openSUSE Board election (September, 23rd, 2008)
- Andrew Waafa: Final Reminder (September 23rd, 2008)
- Henne Vogelsang: Just do it! (September 24th, 2008)
- Andreas Jaeger: openSUSE Membership Applications… (September 25th, 2008)
- Marko Jung: openSUSE election status update (September 25th, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: POSITION: Why the heck am I running for openSUSE Community Board??? (October 2nd, 2008)
- Henne Vogelsang: My Code's compiling (October 2nd, 2008)
- Pascal Bleser: My openSUSE Board Elections Platform (October 6th, 2008)
- Andrew Waafa: Last Day For Granting Franchise Votes (October 8th, 2008)
- Andreas Jaeger: Retiring from the openSUSE board (October 8th, 2008)
- Masim Sugianto: openSUSE Board Elections : Campaign for Pascal Bleser (October 9th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: Don’t forget to vote! 100% participation! (October 9th, 2008)
- Henne Volgelsang: Second point around (October 13th, 2008)
- Marko Jung: More than 50% already casted their vote (October 14th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker Brockmeier: Geek the vote! (October 14th, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: My candidacy hits the local news (October 14th, 2008)
- Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek: Yikes! Last chances to vote! (October 14th, 2008)
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier: Suggestions for the new board? (October 15th, 2008)
- Marko Jung: openSUSE Board Election Extension (October 16th, 2008)
- Jan-Simon Möller: Cast your vote ! (October 21st, 2008)
- Henne Vogelsang: Last but definitely not least (October 23rd, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: Twenty-Four Hours to go! (October 24th, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: Way to go Community!!! (October 25th, 2008)
- Marko Jung: Results of the 1st openSUSE Board Election (October 27th, 2008)
- Bryen Yunashko: I accept with honor and humility... (October 27th, 2008)
- Pascal Bleser: Elected to serve on the openSUSE board (October 27th, 2008)
- Henne Vogelsang: Yay! Here wo go! (October 28th, 2008)
The election in the press
- tuxmachines.org About the openSUSE Board and the Elections (September 2nd, 2008)
- OStatic: openSUSE Contributors Encouraged to Get Involved in Board Election (September 11th, 2008)
- LWN: The openSUSE Project's first board elections (September 17th, 2008)
- Linux Magazin Online: openSUSE ruft zur Vorstands-Wahl (September 18th, 2008)
- Linux Magazine Online: OpenSuse Calls for Board Election (September 19th, 2008)
- Linux Pro Magazine Online: OpenSuse Calls for Board Election (September 19th, 2008)
- Pro-Linux: Erster Vorstand für openSUSE gewählt (October 27th, 2008)
- Linux Magazin Online: Das openSUSE Projekt hat einen neuen Vorstand (October 28th, 2008)
- heise open: Neuer Vorstand für Opensuse (October 28th, 2008)
- Linux Magazine: openSUSE project welcomes first community elected board (October 28th, 2008)
- heise open: New board for OpenSuse (October 28th, 2008)