tagline: From openSUSE
Are you a student contemplating to participate? See information for students below.
Guidelines (For Mentors and Students)
We are introducing a set of guidelines for both mentors and students from GSoC 2014.
- Students should be verified by a college professor vouching for him.
- Students are encouraged to commit some code / package or some other form of contribution to openSUSE prior to GSoC. This will help newcomers familiarize with the community before GSoC and also give ample time to mentors and the community to know the student. Knowing people around you is a good way to start off and also strengthen final GSoC proposals.
- Students are expected to work at least 4 hours a day (it will usually mean at least 2 pull requests / commits as a bare minimum per week)
- GSoC is supposed to be a full time project. If the work is done earlier, it is upto the mentor to decide if he or she will get more work or not.
- Mentors should encourage kick off meetings
- If the student is not writing weekly reports or is not following guidelines set by the Admins or mentors during the set GSoC Term and the mentor fails the student, we will not accept the evaluations as PASS or go to Google for reevaluations.
Information for students
Join the fun
Do this if you want to participate with us:
- See which of the projects you find interesting or come up with your own idea.
- Get in contact with the mentors by subscribing and mailing to the openSUSE Project mailing list to introduce yourself (short bio, your project, why you think you're the right student).
- Submit your proposal on the GSOC website once openSUSE is accepted
Writing a good proposal
We would however love it if your proposal contained the following:
- Background (Please provide information on the project and also include the openFate request link if possible.)
- Use Cases (Please provide an example use case scenario)
- Benefits (Who will benefit from this project & why/how)
- Caveats (Please list and caveats you feel applicable)
- Technical Details (Please fill out all the technical aspects of the project, try and be as clear and detailed as possible.)
- Why Me (Please explain why you feel you are a suitable candidate to complete this project.)
- Do you plan to contribute long term to the project you are working on and how so?
- Contact Information (IRC nick, e-mail, IM)
Basically, let us know why you are the perfect person to implement the project you picked :)