This page contains a number of suggested goals for openSUSE 13.1. Please add only what has been discussed on the opensuse-factory mailing list (or other relevant list)
- update compiler to gcc 4.8
- keep Factory kernel in sync with Kernel:HEAD
- Integrate and test kmscon, a replacement for in-kernel virtual terminals (CONFIG_VT)
- enable AUDIT_LOGINUID_IMMUTABLE in a kernel and drop CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL from daemons needs it to write loginuid (pure-ftpd)
Libs and Apps
- update boost
- update systemd to current version
- replace ALL boot.* initscripts with systemd service
- add native systemd units to important components (for example ntp , samba, etc still rely on init scripts)
- drop sysvinit and have a full and complete implementation of systemd
- ensure NO .service files are packaged in /lib/systemd/system and make it an rpmlint error
- ensure no .rules files are packaged in /lib/udev/rules.d and make it an rpmlint error
- replace mkinitrd with Dracut
X server must be updated to 1.14.0 (with inputproto to 2.3 and libXi to 1.7) to get pointer barriers events, needed by GNOME 3.8
- remove xdm initscript (and sysconfig variable DISPLAY_MANAGER) and use systemd .service and symlink instead
- Target would be to go for the latest KDE 4.11.x release (Depending on the 13.1 release schedule)
- Get phonon to support GStreamer 1.0
- Replace Kopete with the KDE Telepathy framework (if GStreamer 1.0 is supported)
- GNOME 3.10 is the target for openSUSE 13.1; GNOME's release is scheduled to be end of September and this should give us sufficient time to fully integrate by the time 13.1 hits the shelves.
- Drop / clean out old and unmaintained libs: libgnomeprint, libgnomeui, libbonoboui, libgnome, libbonobo
- Drop the obsoleted libgee06 package
- Use a green theme by default
- drop GStreamer 0.10, it is obsoleted by GStreamer 1.0. See openSUSE:Goals_13.1/Port to GStreamer 1.0 for full details.
Get a legal agreement to redistribute Fluendo MP3 pack again, for GStreamer 1.0 (as we had for 0.10)
- advertise AppArmor as security solution with examples of few frequently used applications.
- make SELinux up-to-date with upstream and more usable
update IBus 1.5.2 as its regressions with GNOME 3 will reach a ease state in 3.10 (although we should have enough bug tolerance because not enough JA testers)
- update fcitx 4.2.8, will be released before August.
- introduce ibus/fcitx-kkc as libkkc is a brand-new Japanese input method engine developed for Fedora 19.