Archive:Weekly news 15
tagline: From openSUSE
Welcome to issue #15 of openSUSE Weekly News!
In this week:
- openSUSE 11.0 Alpha 3 is Out
- SoC Student Application Period Open
- Brainshare Digest
- One-Click-Install improvements
- "With a slight delay the new alpha-release was published. Happy testing!"
- "From March 24 to March 31 (deadline 5:00 PM PDT/00:00 UTC April 1) students can apply for SoC projects. Check the ideas page !"
In the Community
- "Today’s ‘People of openSUSE’ interviews Masim ‘Vavai’ Sugianto - founder of the Indonesian openSUSE community - helping users, and spreading out openSUSE to be widely used in his country!"
- openSUSE director Andreas Jaeger announced "on the 21st of March - was our personal beginning of spring: Our daughter Jonna Ylvi was born ..."
YaST / Zypper
- "A proposal for a ‘Yast style guide‘ was published here "
- "libzypp HTTP download failover - SoC proposal" can be found here
Covering just a few posts from Planet SUSE, an aggregation of all SUSE contributors' blogs:
- "I fixed a few bugs/wishes in the openSUSE “one click install” handler last week ..." File:1-click.png
- "To make deployment of LTSP5 on openSUSE even simpler, we now have prebuilt images available that can be deployed by following these three steps ..."
- "Interactive Firewalls? ... I knocked up a little proof of concept application"
- "We had tonight on the opensuse-project IRC channel a lifely discussion about the board election ..."
- "Jeff Jaffe, Novells CTO, talked about FOSSA and the future business vision for Novell"
- "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier presented KDE4 at Brainshare"
- "Adrian Schröter presented the openSUSE Build Service"
More from the Blogosphere
- Christopher M. Hobbs, Brainshare Travels: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5 and Wrapup.
- Calvin, Tasque at Brainshare, Community Rocks
- Zonker, Monday at Brainshare Brainshare: Wrapup
openSUSE-Project and openSUSE-KDE meetings
- "Reminder: There are two meetings today - at 17:00 GMT/UTC the openSUSE-Project meeting and at 19:00 GMT/UTC the openSUSE-KDE meeting"
- "The openSUSE board meets on March 31 at 9pm CEST/7pm UTC on the #opensuse-project IRC channel at freenode."
- "Friday, April 4th, 2008 through Saturday, April 5th, 2008 in any timezone that you can imagine. That means from the morning in Europe on Friday, through the late afternoon on Saturday in the Americas. Come and join us and create packages in the openSUSE buildservice! It's phun!"
To view the security announcements in full, or to receive them as soon as they're released, refer to the openSUSE Security Announce mailing list.
- "A heap-overflow in the cgiCompileSearch() function of cups was fixed."
- "This update fixes three vulnerabilities, two of them are only possible if krb4 support is enabled."
In the Press
- "The quest to get GNU/Linux to run well on a laptop has been a long running challenge. In this piece, Ed looks at his success with OpenSUSE on a Dell Latitude laptop."
- "The third alpha of openSUSE 11 was announced yesterday, so while I was puttering about the house before bedtime I downloaded the ISO, specifically the KDE live CD. I then burned the ISO and rebooted europa with my newly minted CD. "
- "... Installing OpenSUSE ..."
- "...All in all I am very impressed with openSuse 10.3 ..."
- "Novell announces development plans for the next generation of Suse Linux, promising mission-critical abilities in a power-friendly package."
- "Prereleases give users a great way to get an early look at upcoming features ..."
- "In thinking about getting a fully stable KDE 4 setup on my machine ..."
Numbers in brackets show the changes compared to the previous week.
The Build Service now hosts 2172 (+45) projects, 36663 (+109) packages, 5012 (+64) repositories by 4931 (+137) confirmed users.
The numbers for all openSUSE project products are this week:
- All Open Reports: 3824 (+127)
- Blocker: 29 (+2)
- Critical: 167 (+10)
- Major: 533 (+28)
- Normal: 2214 (+83)
- Minor: 291 (-1)
- Enhancements: 590 (+5)
The top 10 translation teams with the most translated strings of trunk:
- Japanese (ja): 31365 / 100%
- Ukraine (uk): 31365 / 100% (2 ranks up)
- Hungarian (hu): 30601 / 97% (1 rank down)
- Portuguese Brazilian (pt_BR): 30275 / 96% (1 rank down)
- French (fr): 29802 / 95%
- Dutch (nl): 29410 / 93% (new in top 10)
- Portuguese (pt): 29343 / 93% (2 ranks up)
- Italian (it): 29324 / 93% (2 ranks down)
- Finnish (fi): 29302 / 93% (2 ranks down)
- German (de): 29285 / 93% (2 ranks down)
Feedback / Communicate / Get Involved
news.openSUSE.org story comment section and let us know! To communicate and get help from the wider openSUSE community -- via IRC, forums, or mailing lists -- see Communicate.
You can subscribe to the openSUSE Weekly News RSS feed at http://news.opensuse.org/category/weekly-news/